Game Center is no more!

Discussion in 'Buildbox General Discussion' started by AndyG, Jun 13, 2016.

Tags:
  1. AndyG

AndyG Miniboss Boxer

Apple quietly killed Game Center app today
    http://www.cultofmac.com/433211/apple-quietly-killed-game-center-app-today/

Game Center finally met its demise this morning with the unveiling of iOS 10, which effectively kills Apple’s attempt at creating a gaming social network.

Starting with iOS 10, the Game Center app will no longer be found on iPhones and iPads, after having been preinstalled on devices for years. Apple isn’t just adding it to the list of stock iOS apps you can delete, though. It’s actually getting rid of the platform altogether in favor of GameKit.

Apple’s release notes for iOS 10 beta 1 reveal that developers will have to implement the required interface themselves if they use GameKit.

“The Game Center app has been removed. If your game implements GameKit features, it must also implement the interface behavior necessary for the user to see these features. For example, if your game supports leaderboards, it could present a GKGameCenterViewController object or read the data directly from Game Center to implement a custom user interface.”

Game Center made its iOS debut in 2010 after gaming became a major focus of the App Store. The app eventually got ported over to the Mac, but wasn’t widely used.

Ishamahes, JoeWilson, trygii and 2 others like this.
  2. Christoph

Christoph Miniboss Boxer

What does that mean for iOS games exported from Buildbox? Will future submissions be rejected if they have GameCenter enabled? Is Game Center already gone in iTunesConnect?

3. Aaron F

Aaron F Avid Boxer

That's weird because Game Center just started working again after more than 6 months being broken on IOS 9

4. trudnai

trudnai Miniboss Boxer

@AndyG In my reading you will still have leaderboard and achievements stored on apple servers using the existing APIs. It is just that you will no longer have the Game Center app that displays all your games and maybe you no longer can challenge a friend? Am I missing something?

5. playsgames6666

playsgames6666 Miniboss Boxer

Yea i read it the same as you did.

6. Phill Mason

Phill Mason Serious Boxer

I'm still getting a 0 data reading during sandbox testing, I assume this is down to patchy Game Center shenanigans of late?

7. Andy

Andy Miniboss Boxer

I would assume that through iOS 9 it will still work as it always has.... but for iOS 10 only these changes will take effect. But yeah, they could be having some issues that affect the whole environment as they are implementing this. This kind of thing tends to happen every year around this time until Sept.

8. playsgames6666

playsgames6666 Miniboss Boxer

HMMM, i was just testing a game and game centre was working fine.
    Are all your ids correct? Just checkin LOL

9. Phill Mason

Yup, everything looks okay. I get the GC show up at the top of the screen just like normal, displaying my name etc and when I click on my button to show the scores, it loads the GC page okay too, just that after I've collected say 5 coins, it still shows 0.
    BTW this is for a BB1.3.5 game testing on an iPhone 5 with iOS7.1.1 running, haven't tried on iPhone 6 yet.

10. Andy

Andy Miniboss Boxer

it's possible there are issues with regards to iOS 7...
    I would use iOS 8 or 9 as you main testing device. IOS 7 usage is in the low single digits percentage wise. I think iOS 9 is on about 90% of the devices in use.

Phill Mason likes this.
  11. Phill Mason

Sure, thanks @Andy, I also test on iOS 9, but wanted to ask about this older iOS 7 device too. Didn't realise the numbers were diminishing that much, I'm too old-school :)

12. Christoph

Christoph Miniboss Boxer

JoeWilson and trudnai like this.