DROP ZONE - 70% Completed

Discussion in 'Game Showcase' started by sysads, Nov 6, 2015.

1. sysads

sysads Serious Boxer

OK as part of my 30 day game creation and with limited due to day to day work, my initial idea was to follow the endless jumpy style or geometry style games but for me to learn faster and get use to BBox, I decided to do level based game which will contain as many simple physics as possible.

So as at today after 2 weeks on it, I have completed the different level designs (phew). Now I have started work on adding sound tracks and fine turn the game before I release it to this esteemed community I have been privileged to join :D to help me break it apart and make it better :D

Below are just some of the levels and I hope I have done a good job.

NOTE: TRYING TO MAKE AND DESIGN A GAME IS A LOT OF HARD WORK :rolleyes:

upload_2015-11-6_19-4-40.png

upload_2015-11-6_19-5-25.png

upload_2015-11-6_19-6-10.png

upload_2015-11-6_19-6-56.png

upload_2015-11-6_19-8-50.png

upload_2015-11-6_19-10-8.png

upload_2015-11-6_19-11-1.png

ruhm64 and Phill Mason like this.
  2. Jamie

Jamie Avid Boxer

Honest feedback here: Your first three screenshots look really good, for the most part. However the art style in those does not really play well with the minimal one-color look of your other levels, and the look of the first few screenshots does not match the minimal look of your characters. I recommend keeping the look of the first few screenshots, but adjusting your character designs to fit the art style of the first few screenshots; get rid of the one-color stuff and replace it with stuff that coheres to the art style of the first few screenshots. Try another color for your UI on your first screenshot (replace the blue gradients with something else).

ruhm64 and Phill Mason like this.
  3. sysads

sysads Serious Boxer

@Jamie awesome feedback. I knew the levels with black design isn't that in-line with the game theme since I am BAD when it comes to graphics. I had to use them just to get the level designs out first.

- For the xter, do you suggest I change the design to something else?
    - Should I replace all the RED spikes with something less shouty?

You said "Try another color for your UI on your first screenshot (replace the blue gradients with something else)", do you mean replace the buttons color?

Jamie likes this.
  4. Phill Mason

Phill Mason Serious Boxer

Yup, I reckon @Jamie nailed it there, I fully agree. First few screenshots look great and you should try and continue that theme throughout.

As for those red spiky discs, why not try and colour them to match the copper colour of your round platforms or even a simple jet black would perhaps fit better with your theme, would also add a little drama to those scenes.

Jamie and ruhm64 like this.
  5. wesam_badr

wesam_badr Miniboss Boxer

GO for metal theme im with @Jamie @Phill Mason try to make the buttons metallic and maybe for the characters try robotic theme refer to

Jamie likes this.
  6. Jamie

Jamie Avid Boxer

I think the advice said so far collectively in this thread is pretty solid.
    Technically you could still use those other minimal art assets well, but in an entirely minimal game. The key to good visual design for games is harmony of art style, and a large part of this craft is pushing beyond what's been done or what's popular, to something else within the range of harmonious art styles.

7. Simon Crack

Simon Crack Avid Boxer

8. sysads

sysads Serious Boxer

WOW - Awesome feedback everyone. I am loving this. Like I said, I am not that good with graphics so I am certainly going to make all the adjustments as advised.

My ultimate goal is to make an endless style game :D
    Only started this to introduce me to BBox and this might end up being a Steam version rather than mobile as the controls might be hard to put in place.

9. Phill Mason

Phill Mason Serious Boxer

@sysads looking at your main menu image for a bit longer, I would be inclined to use the copper platforms you have in your game as the main menu buttons. I'd take one, stretch a little to make it a bit thicker and place some text over the top to make your menu buttons. That would tie in nicely with the theme. If you haven't got the tools do to that, drop me one of your graphics and I'll help you out.

Rebel Studios likes this.