Character Bobbing, how to eliminate?

Discussion in 'Technical Discussion' started by Jagabum, Nov 4, 2015.

1. Jagabum

Jagabum Guest

Hey guys! I am doing a horizontal scroller where there is no gravity, and the character can only move up and down by dragging the character as such. However i noticed that the character will bob slightly up/down even though the finger has stopped moving.

Is there any way to reduce or even totally eliminate this bobbing please? Sometimes this bobbing action touches the enemy when it shouldn't have.

On the "Advanced Gameplay Settings", Direct Movement is checked, Forced Movement is not checked. Air Drags are zero.

2. Jagabum

Jagabum Guest

Got the bobbing reduced by setting Velocity Drag from 0 to 1! Any other ideas you guys might have please?

3. Phill Mason

Phill Mason Serious Boxer

You could try increase platform friction just enough to stop the character lifting off slightly. You could also add a little negative Y Gravity to force the character a little towards the ground. A small amount won't make hardly any difference to the gameplay, but probably enough to keep your character still. I haven't tried these, just thinking out loud what may help :)

Jagabum likes this.
  4. Jagabum

Jagabum Guest

ok got it! i added a bit of X gravity instead (since i'm "floating" in mid-air), and a tiny bit of Velocity Drag to increase friction somehow with something behind the scene in Buildbox (the character boundaries perhaps?). Worked like magic! It now has just the right small of bobbing (non-existent when moving slowly, slight bobbing when moved fast)!

Thanks for the heads up phill! And almost done now, can't wait to show you guys the final results!

Phill Mason likes this.
  5. Phill Mason

Phill Mason Serious Boxer

That's great @Jagabum, looking forward to seeing the results.