Change Character Rotation When He Collides With An Object

Discussion in 'How Can I...?' started by AlexandreAbreu, Jan 7, 2017.

1. AlexandreAbreu

AlexandreAbreu Boxer

So I have my character with a advanced move with angular velocity set to -2. I would like to change the rotation direction (clockwise to anti clockwise). This actually sounds simple, all I thought I had to do was add a transform tool that multiplies the angular velocity by -1. But under affected asset there is no option for my character.
    I've also tried adding an action but no progress.
    Would appreciate some help.

2. steverha

steverha Boxer

Create an advanced move for the character, change the event to collision, choose the object desired as the affected asset, make the mathematical operation replace the angular velocity to 2, set timeout to whatever you wish. That should do the trick for ya, let me know if not.

3. AlexandreAbreu

AlexandreAbreu Boxer

ok, so I've tried that, and it changes the rotation but something weird happens, and i'm not sure I can explain.
    One of two things can happen after I touch the object.
    If I touch the object slowly my character will not move anymore only the camera moves.
    And if I touch it by running into it my character will continue moving.
    In both scenarios I lose control over my character.

4. steverha

steverha Boxer

What is the timeout set to? If you want it to just switch the rotation to 2 quickly, try setting your timeout to about .001. If your character touches it slowly and stops moving, just mess around with the linear velocity in the advanced move for your character. Basically, if hes moving right at a speed of 5 on the x axis, make it so when he hits the object, changes rotation, and changes the speed to -5 on the x axis.

5. AlexandreAbreu

AlexandreAbreu Boxer

That does not work, if I set the timeout to .001 my character will change rotation but will stop rotating. I've also tried several timeout values and I can't really understand what it does.
    I do not have any advanced move for the movement of my character I have full control over my character, in every direction.

6. AlexandreAbreu

AlexandreAbreu Boxer

I believe I understand what this is actually doing, and it's not what I want to do.
    It only changes the rotation while my character is touching the object and when my character stops touching the object the rotation stops.
    But what I want to do is change the rotation as soon as it touches the object and I want to keep that rotation for the rest of the game.

7. steverha

steverha Boxer

Change your characters rotation drag to 0, that that way you can keep a continuous rotation going. If you set it to 0 then it will work. But, if its set to anything else then the characters rotation will eventually stop. Let me know if that helps.

8. Christoph

Christoph Miniboss Boxer

If your character has a -2 rotation then put to the character's advanced move a +2 rotation (and affected asset to your object). Just the opposite and it will look like he turns from clockwise to counterclockwise.

playsgames6666 likes this.
  9. AlexandreAbreu

AlexandreAbreu Boxer

My character rotation drag is already set to 0.
    Chistoph, that's what I have, but it's not working the way I want it to work.
    I believe the timeout should be 0 so that my character keeps that rotation forever. But when I set it to 0 it get's a little bugged. As soon as I touch the object, the rotation does change and it keeps the rotation forever, but I will stop controlling my character. (But the camera moves)
    And I would like to say thanks for all the tips you have said so far.