Updated Android Studio Will Not Build - 2 Weird Errors...

Discussion in 'Technical Discussion' started by J.E.Moores, Mar 11, 2020.

1. J.E.Moores

J.E.Moores Boxer

March 11, 2020: All my BuildBox v 2.3.8 B#2520 games are getting these two issues when creating a build using the latest update to Android Studio v 3.6.1

android.useAndroidX=true

and it works! (or so I thought - but this could be the cause of the next problem?)
    androidsupportmultidexversion.txt
    androidsupportmultidexversion.txt
    duplicate-warning.jpg
    I've tried many things, could not figure out a work around.
    I cannot safe delete one so I tried variations of:
    packagingOptions {
    exclude '...???'
    }
    and then my brain melted. My melted brain could barely put all this together to share this issue with you all. You see, I could successfully build AAB files before I updated Android Studio without having to do any coding. Anyone else having these issues or am I a doufus? Maybe both? Thanks in advance just for being you. Stay warm and be cool. ~Jay.

2. Sean Buildbox

Sean Buildbox Serious Boxer

Hi Jay,

One of our engineers looked into this. He says:

- To try and reproduce the issue I upgraded my older Android Studio to 3.6.1. It had a minor issues with the NDK not updating correctly so I manually installed the latest from Google.

- I used Buildbox 2.3.8 B#2520 to build an AAB out of the sample game. Android Studio gave me another NDK error about needing NDK 20.0.5594570. I installed that, did a "Sync project with Gradle Files", and after that the AAB built with no problems. I didn't need to mess with any AndroidX settings.

- Are you using any additional ad libraries or plugins?

- If you want to you can email a Dropbox or Google Drive link to a ZIP of your Android Studio project to support@buildbox.com, mention it's "for Abe", and I'll try compiling it on my Android Studio install.

3. J.E.Moores

J.E.Moores Boxer

Sooooo... if I do NOT upgrade the Gradle inside Android Studio it works! Usually when ever I open my buildbox file in Android Studio there is a pop up so I can upgrade Gradle, so I upgrade to the latest Gradle. However the last couple days I get several warnings and cannot complete the build. Through trial and error I have discovered that if I do not upgrade the Gradle, I can complete the build for publishing onto Google Play. (woo-hoo!)

I do have reward video custom code for AdMob that I put in my games, but I tried this process with and without that code and it was the update to Gradle within Android Studio that is causing this issue for me:

More than one file was found with OS independent path 'androidsupportmultidexversion.txt'

I guess Gradle is the "elephant in the room". Not sure why the update is not compatible with any of my games I have already published successfully. I swear the entire process changes each time I publish or update a game, lol. I was blown away by your fast response. Thanks.

Sean Buildbox likes this.
  4. godofnet

godofnet Boxer

Hello,
    I have the same problem and i think its affecting the admob ads cause is not showing event with the Sample ad units?
    Any idea about this!