[tutorial] Melee Attack In Bb2

Discussion in 'How Can I...?' started by Christoph, Sep 12, 2016.

1. Christoph

Christoph Miniboss Boxer

Hi guys,

I saw that a lot of members have asked for tips about the Melee Attack. I did this tutorial for another member of the community and thought I would share it with all of you. It's pretty simple anyway. I used Buildbox 2 (so it's up to date) but it should be pretty much the same for Buildbox 1. The only thing which is not possible is to give the enemy a life value. So here we go:

Ah, and there are for sure other alternatives to do the same. This is only how I would do it. So keep playing with Buildbox and share the hell out of it with the community. This is how we'll achieve pretty much everything.

2. blackswan

blackswan Avid Boxer

Much appreciated!
    I will experiment with this later this evening.

Q. Can you add a strike effect that only appears when the attack lands on the enemy? Similar to classic beat-em ups.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 12, 2016
  3. Christoph

Christoph Miniboss Boxer

In Buildbox 2 there is a damage animation you can use. It would be the same with every kind of attack though, not specific to the melee attack.

4. jcalle

jcalle Miniboss Boxer

Thank you @Christoph
    A very good tutorial to consider.

5. bakosproduction

bakosproduction Boxer

this was so fucking amazing and usefull i was looking for 2 day how to figure it out ! THANKS!

6. Blackbird Games Studio

Blackbird Games Studio Boxer

Very good tutorial but I have a couple of questions:
    1) Let's assume that the attach animation is not a single image but a set of image sequences then how should we add a platform over the sword?
    2) The tutorial is assuming that the sword would be in a horizontal position to be able to add a rectangular platform on top of it but what about the sword is vertical with let's say an angle of 45 degree or something, or in other words it is neither vertical or horizontal? Would adding the sword itself as an object then use this new object on top of the original sword work?
    Thanks