Revenue?

Discussion in 'Buildbox General Discussion' started by colette_levesque, Apr 27, 2017.

?

Anyone making decent money with Buildbox?

1. < $10 / month

6 vote(s)
    28.6%
  2. $10 - $100 / month

5 vote(s)
    23.8%
  3. $100 - $500 / month

6 vote(s)
    28.6%
  4. $500 + /month

4 vote(s)
    19.0%
  1. colette_levesque

colette_levesque Boxer

Here is my system information. Buildbox runs fine on it.

upload_2017-4-30_22-34-55.png

harislatif likes this.
  2. colette_levesque

colette_levesque Boxer

So... which mac will you buy? :D

3. harislatif

harislatif Avid Boxer

Thinking on 4K iMac

4. harislatif

harislatif Avid Boxer

Can u tell me your memory rpm pls?

5. colette_levesque

colette_levesque Boxer

My computer is pretty old now. Any computer you buy from Apple today will be way better than mine. I will look up that info when i get home from work but if you're getting a 4k mac then you have nothing to worry about. When i bought my mini, it was expensive to buy one with extra ram so i took the lowest ram mini and bought and installed my own ram for very cheap. I'm not sure you can do that with current macs.

6. harislatif

harislatif Avid Boxer

U can

7. colette_levesque

colette_levesque Boxer

5400 rpm. I was on a budget, got an open box model for a discount of $100 at Future Shop so the computer only cost me $400 at the time.

playsgames6666 likes this.
  8. harislatif

harislatif Avid Boxer

Yeah one thing I hate about macs are that there latest imac or any mac basic versions are having 1970's mac memory rpm 5400!!!!!Apple should improve this!

colette_levesque likes this.
  9. trudnai

trudnai Miniboss Boxer

Memory rpm? You mean the hard drive's rpm?
    Btw if you can invest on any updates put those bills on an SSD. It is like you replace your old bi-plane flying machine with a space rocket.

10. harislatif

harislatif Avid Boxer

Yeah that's what I meant!!!

11. harislatif

harislatif Avid Boxer

How much does it take to upgrade to SSD from HDD on iMac 4K 21 inch takes?How much dollars?

12. trudnai

trudnai Miniboss Boxer

If you just buy the iMac, it is better just do the upgrade through the customization process:

Screen Shot 2017-05-04 at 10.04.14 AM.PNG
    I have heard good things about Fusion drive too (that is like a hybrid car, so it has a smaller SSD and a traditional magnetic spinning hard drive in it, and then it automatically places frequently used data onto the SSD part. Good thing about that one is that you have the larger capacity and a near SSD speed. I prefer full SSD, so I have no experiments with those, Google for reviews.

If you want to upgrade your existing iMac, then it is not about the price (you pretty much buy a good SSD drive from 3rd party market). It is about how to replace it. It is not like a Tower PC where you lift off the side panel and pick out the old one and through in the new. If you are not very confident in fixing the finest hardware technology, I would not recommend to do it by yourself, just hire someone.

Here is how you do it, but bear in mind it looks much easier on the description than it is. So many things can go wrong, for example you can get a dust in your screen from the inside which will bug you for the rest of your life...

https://www.ifixit.com/Guide/iMac+Intel+21.5-Inch+Retina+4K+Display+Hard+Drive+Replacement/64107

playsgames6666 and harislatif like this.
  13. Andy

Andy Miniboss Boxer

On the older Mac mini you NEED to have at least 8GB of memory, IMHO. 16GB is better. Anything past Mountain Lion doesn't run very well with even just the base OS. Also, a SSD upgrade is nice. I have a 2011 Mac mini, after the SSD and 16GB updates it runs like a champ again.

OWC has everything you need, just make sure to research well. Sometimes the parts needed are very specific to the exact model.
    https://eshop.macsales.com/upgrades/mac-mini

I plan on doing similar updates to my 2010 iMac as well later this year.

harislatif and trudnai like this.
  14. harislatif

harislatif Avid Boxer

Ok thanks!

15. colette_levesque

colette_levesque Boxer

Yeah, mine hasn't been running quite the same since upgrading to Sierra but i can still get by. Wondering if i should put a few bucks into upgrading it or just investing in a new model. I guess my point to harislatif was that if my old model can still run Buildbox okay, then anything he buys brand new will definitely run it fine. I've been so busy learning Javascript for work that i haven't made time to build a game in Buildbox. When i get right into it, that's when i'll really see how well my computer can handle BB.

harislatif likes this.
  16. harislatif

harislatif Avid Boxer

Yes i understood

colette_levesque likes this.