Prevent platform from falling immediately

Discussion in 'How Can I...?' started by sysads, Oct 28, 2015.

1. sysads

sysads Serious Boxer

I have tried every settings and i know the settings are right but for unknown reasons, when I start the game, the square falls immediately even when the xter is not near it:

upload_2015-10-28_14-46-31.png

2. David D

David D Boxer

Your movement type needs to be set to fixed

3. sysads

sysads Serious Boxer

trust me I have tried that also but same issue

upload_2015-10-28_14-51-29.png

4. David D

David D Boxer

So the object type should be set to platform also. if so, you probably need to adjust the wakeup distance.

5. sysads

sysads Serious Boxer

still no luck :( as simple as it should be, I have no clue why it is not working :(
    How to one determine or measure the distance

6. Christoph

Christoph Miniboss Boxer

The distance is measured with the position. One position minus the other one and you have the distance (note: it always measures from the center point). Also, if you put in a distance of 10 then sometimes it doesn't start to move (this is a bug). Values of minus will start to move the object when you already past. Do some test with platforms and see if it works there. If it does and enemies not, then it probably is also a bug...

sysads likes this.
  7. sysads

sysads Serious Boxer

Yep I do agree with you, it looks like a bug. If I take a sample of the 5 games that came with the license, and use the same settings, it still does not work :(

Maybe I will try it with build v1.3.4

8. David D

David D Boxer

I would first just test it using a variety of distances. But yes, your right, it should work so maybe it's a glitch.

9. stevinz

stevinz Avid Boxer

@sysads The wakeup distance is applied only from the direction of gameplay. So if your game direction is "0" (to the right), the object will wake up when the character is 10 pixels to the left of the object. If your game direction is "90" (downward), the object will wake up when your character is 10 pixels above the object, etc...

Another way to accomplish this is to have an invisible action (can just be type "None", duration small like ".01") that is collected by the character. When the action is collected have it spawn (high spawn rate like "1000" so only one will appear) a platform that moves downward from the Action Animation.

10. sysads

sysads Serious Boxer

Spot on!!! the game direction explains the behavior I was seeing each time I tested it :)

I have some enemies behavior I want to add based on xter distance, so will see how your proposed solution helps me achieve it.

Thanks ALL, much appreciated :)

11. sysads

sysads Serious Boxer

@stevinz I am stuck with your proposed solution :(

I have created a blank Action and dropped it in game but how do I set it to affect the object in game?

12. stevinz

stevinz Avid Boxer