Paid Or Free That Is The Question

Discussion in 'Game Marketing' started by spicedbeangames, Feb 10, 2017.

1. spicedbeangames

spicedbeangames Miniboss Boxer

Currently, I have what I think is a great app in the works (don't we all!) - and during the development process, the idea was always to release it as a paid app. The reasons behind it are pretty simple - its a less crowded market and it's the kind of game I believe someone would pay for, if they are into this genre of games.

However, I am now toying with the idea of sending it to a publisher to see if they a) respond b) are interested. The downside being that its a much more crowded market place(free) but they could potentially get the game to many more players = more downloads = more revenue.

The app store paid section has been pretty stale of late - with the same OLD games sticking in the Top 100(like Tiny wings, Zombieville 2 as really old examples)

It would be great to hear your thoughts

2. playsgames6666

playsgames6666 Miniboss Boxer

Good question. Don't really have an answer.
    But all the games on my devices, well games that stay on my devices are paid games.
    They are the only games i will play for hours and keep on my device.
    Though sometimes there are some disappointments and they get deleted.
    But i generally go for paid games more, they normally have a better gameplay, and story line to them.
    Im personally not a one tap game person. I check them out and play for about five minutes, get bored and delete.
    Though there are some good puzzler one tap games that i might play for a few days.
    So i guess the question for you is, Is your game really good that it is going to want a user to throw a couple of bucks into it, and not be disappointed that its going to be boring after an hour of game play.
    Overall it depends on the game, i would never pay for a one tap game, That includes tiny wings. Never.
    I will always pay for a good platformer, As long as it has good gameplay, puzzling and with a bit of action. Im hooked.

Christoph and spicedbeangames like this.
  3. Andy

Andy Miniboss Boxer

If you haven't already, be sure to check out the info @dan_counsell posted about the launch of his paid Buildbox game. Going free or going paid is a gamble and depends on many factors. I think one consensus is that kids and educational games tend to do better as paid games.
    http://buildbox.com/forum/index.php?threads/almost-impossible-revenue-and-launch-details.799/
    https://www.dancounsell.com/ios-game-revenue-launch-details/

EDIT: Just realized it was both paid and free at different times... but still a good read and applies to the conversation.

dan_counsell and spicedbeangames like this.
  4. spicedbeangames

spicedbeangames Miniboss Boxer

Cheers Andy - very useful info. The market is changing so rapidly right now! lol