Games And The Subscription Model

Discussion in 'Buildbox General Discussion' started by swnam12, Sep 7, 2016.

?

Would you consider putting your app(s) on a subscription?

1. Yes

1 vote(s)
    50.0%
  2. No

1 vote(s)
    50.0%
  1. swnam12

swnam12 Boxer

With iOS 10, Apple announced any app can use the subscription model, including games, and even provides an incentive for developers to do so (85/15 split for users after 1 year).

1. Will Buildbox support this feature or is there only configuration to do in iTunesConnect?
    2. Would you consider putting your app(s) on a subscription? And yes, as far as I know, you can group multiple apps into one subscription.

2. trudnai

trudnai Miniboss Boxer

Subscription model for games work when it is an MMO. I doubt if that is any good for a game where the retention is reprocessor low.

The reason for MMO type you need subscription is because you need to maintain brackend servers, run customer support and constantly develop the game further and further. If you only have a one time provide from customers then there is no way you can cover the operating costs. Customers are typically spending free hours a day with their favorite titles, unlike an indie game.

For a Tetris or Mario there is no way I would keep paying few bucks per month just because once or twice I play with that. World of Warcraft? Probably...

3. jigglybean

jigglybean Avid Boxer

This new service is really aimed at the Newspaper/print media who have seen sales drop like a stone since the internet arrived. Within gaming, subscription services have had their day.

Looking at MMOs, I can count on 3 fingers those MMOs that have actually increased their subscriber base post launch with many recent releases all going 'free' to play within 6 months or 12 months of launch. But - the trick is value. If the consumer can see value in subscription services, then maybe they will part with their cash.

However, Spotify are struggling to hang on to and acquire subscribers, cable companies are in the same position and I firmly believe that a new structure of pricing will arrive ( on Spotify for example, you pay £5 instead of £10 and listen only to the music genre you select )

It wouldn't benefit BB or those who make BB games in anyway shape or form - but I love being proved wrong. :)

4. swnam12

swnam12 Boxer

@jigglybean I'm pretty sure media sites already had subscriptions before this was announced. But maybe it wasn't allowed in the AppStore.

Anyway, yes both of you are right about MMOs being the major use for game subscriptions. But if you look at consoles, there are paid subscriptions for both the Xbox and Playstation. I know that PSN subscribers get free games to play and discounts on purchases. Of course, that's different because generally games are $60 for new releases, sometimes more.

Monthly music (Spotify, Apple Music, etc) and video streaming (Netflix, HBO, Amazon, etc) services exist. So why not games? Pay $5/mo for all games released for that month, with no ads and in-app purchases and a ton of extra content. For mobile, it may be hard but I bet some big players could pull it off. But like you all said, for Buildboxers it's probably not ideal.