Game Size Issue - Lots Of Images In Bbdoc That Are Not In The Atlas

Discussion in 'Technical Discussion' started by Coldwilson, Jun 5, 2018.

Tags:
  1. Coldwilson

Coldwilson Avid Boxer

Hi,

my game is currently about 34mb which was quite a jump from a couple of weeks ago. I regularly optimise the Atlas but thought I'd check out the bbdoc file (extracted it) to see what things I could optimise further. I was very surprised to see many images that I no longer use as well as quite a bit of duplication of sounds and images. For instance, there are copies of some images in both the "effects" folder and "images" folder.

Apart from images that I've not had in my game for months I noticed that there were many images I'd been testing for the logo. None of these things are showing in the Atlas and I can see no way of removing these. The result is going to become an inflation of the game size without any ability to control it.

I thought I'd do a simple test against a demo game by adding in logo images and a few other images. I saved, then removed the images, optimised the Atlas so they were all gone. Saved again. Closed down BB to clear caches. Reloaded. All gone from the Atlas still. Opened up an extracted copy of the test bbdoc file and found many of the images still in the file. I reckon my game is currently half this size without these redundant files filling up the bbdoc. I thought that perhaps they wouldn't get copied into the game when loaded onto a phone but the file size is still that large.

I'll send this to support.

I can't find any reference to this on the forums - is this a known issue?

Thanks

patostar likes this.
  2. Coldwilson

Coldwilson Avid Boxer

Any thoughts on this team?

Is there a way I can take an extracted version of the bbdoc and put it back together, that way I could at least clean it up myself.

Thanks

3. spicedbeangames

spicedbeangames Miniboss Boxer

You might want to shoot an email to support with your problem and include your bbdoc.

4. patostar

patostar Avid Boxer

It's been annoying me too, every time I delete some images or sounds and then I save the file but the size remains the same, atlas doesn't even work as it should be, what I do is make a copy of my bbdoc file and change the extension to zip, double click on it and then I go to the images folder, and I open them one by one and I see if this image I don't need it then I just delete it, I know it takes a lot of time, but I think this is the only option, then I change the extension back to bbdoc, open it and go to atlas and optimize it, it will delete the unused files so the file size will be less.

5. patostar

patostar Avid Boxer

NO, if you extract it, it will not work, like I said just change the extension to zip, and do like I said in the previous comment it will work :)

6. jcalle

jcalle Miniboss Boxer

If BB does not delete the images, they are being used in the project.
    Option 1.
    Close BB, reopen it and try to optimize.

Option 2.
    Close BB.
    Make a backup copy of your file.
    Rename your bbdoc to ZIP file, open it with WinRAR or WinZIP, look in the "images" and "effects" folders for the image you want to erase, delete it, close the compressor.
    Rename the file to bbdoc and open it with BB.
    Check if it has been deleted.

Option 3.
    You can buy my services to optimize your project.
    http://www.bbriver.com/market/optimization-of-your-game

Deliverbo likes this.
  7. Coldwilson

Coldwilson Avid Boxer

Thanks Jcalle,

I suspected the same but after extensive searching I know for certain that there are numerous images not in the game. For instance, I tried about 30 different icon designs which were put into the icon box in settings. There's nowhere else for them to go. In the extracted file all of these icons are still there despite my having only one icon, they don't show in the Atlas.

I've tried your approach to recompressing and renaming back to bbdoc with numerous zip software (Mac) but it keeps showing as unrecognised format in BB. What software are you using?

Thanks

8. jcalle

jcalle Miniboss Boxer

I use WinRAR.

9. patostar

patostar Avid Boxer

Look I tried to help you, but it seems you didn't even read my post, anyway good luck man.

10. Coldwilson

Coldwilson Avid Boxer

Hey patostar, thanks for the advice, I wasn't ignoring you, I simply didn't see you messages. I had an email notification I saw on my phone with jcalle's note, I responded to that on my phone without seeing the whole thread.

Anyway, I've just tried your method and it's not working for me. Are you doing this on a PC? When I rename it to .zip and double click on it OS X automatically extracts it to a folder. If I rename that to a .zip it stays as a folder. This has been the case with all the other zip programs I've tried. Some let me see the contents of the zip but not let me edit them without opening.

I'm going to try this on a pc as I suspect that's the cause of the problems I'm having with zips.

To the original issue, I'm surprised no one else has flagged the same thing. Aside from the various images that were once objects in game and long since removed, its most apparent when you look at your game icon. I updated my icon yesterday and noticed that icons don't show up in the Alas at all.

11. patostar

patostar Avid Boxer

Hello again, and no worries :D yes I do it on my windows PC, maybe that's your problem, because when you double click on the zip file (after you changed the bbdoc extension to zip) it should not automatically extract the files, it should let you see the files inside the zip file, go to images folder and delete the images that you won't use anymore, because if you extract it and then zipping it it will not work it gives you unrecognised format error, and then change the extension back from zip to bbdoc, open it and optimize it, buildbox will automatically remove all files that you don't use anymore (images that you deleted from zip file), then the size of buildbox file will be reduced.

12. Andy

Andy Miniboss Boxer

Contact support@buildbox.com and we can help. This used to be an issue but it should not happen anymore in recent versions (the past year or so). It's possible your BBDOC was started in an older version of Buildbox that the issue could continue. If you are able to reproduce the behavior in a new file please let us know how to do that so we can fix it.

Aside from that, if you are extracting and rezipping the file, make sure that you do not put the files inside a directory and then zip. Just go inside the directory, select all the files and re-compress. The BBDOC should be loadable now. If you just selecting a single directory and re-compressing then it definitely won't work.

13. Coldwilson

Coldwilson Avid Boxer

Ah, thanks so much Andy. Your comment about zipping up the files below the folder that's created from the extract process was the key to getting this to open again in BB for me.

I was able to reproduce the issue on a demo project and sent a file in at the same time I raised this on the forum but ot heard back on that yet. The version I started out with was the one at the MC2 release in about November 17. I can say that there's a clear issue with icons being changed as these don't appear in the Atlas when you add them. Hence why I've had loads of these images as well.

14. Coldwilson

Coldwilson Avid Boxer

Hi patostar. This is odd. I saw an email showing your latest response after post 13 ( "Hello again, and no worries :D..."), I got it several hours ago but it's still not showing up in this thread.

Do you still have moderator approva needed before messages are uploaded? I had to get admin to take that off manually.

15. patostar

patostar Avid Boxer

Yeah my posts or replies sometime take a while to get approved lol.