Buildbox 3.2.0 Fbx Texture Problem

Discussion in 'Buildbox 3.0' started by M9 Games, Apr 14, 2020.

1. M9 Games

M9 Games Boxer

Hi there,

I'm on MacOS Mojave.

Just trying out the new animated FBX import option of BB 3.2 and the FBX imports fine with animation but the import says there isn't a texture applied. OK, click the Texture button to open up the dialog and all image files are greyed out. PNG's, JPG's TIFF's etc... no file on my entire laptop seems to be compatible.

Also after import there is no option to add a texture file like on standard 3D imports.

Is there a trick to the texture part of the FBX import process?

2. Vlad-NY

Vlad-NY Serious Boxer

3. M9 Games

M9 Games Boxer

Thanks for the link, I have seen this video and it kind of sorts the problem for a main character as it uses the character controller brainbox to add a texture that way - although this is temperamental and causes a crash in cases. There are no texture options for an imported FBX model without this brainbox.

Basically I want to drag and drop in an FBX scenery model or many models, with or without animation and apply a texture. As the main feature of this release of BuildBox was FBX import I would have thought it would be straight forward.

The import of the model works perfectly, I'm just looking for a solution to applying a texture.

4. M9 Games

M9 Games Boxer

Figured it out!

For anyone in the same situation heres the solution:

> Drag and drop in your FBX model as an object, ignore the Texture button.
    > Now double click on your object in the left Assets list (or Edit Nodes on the 3 dots). This opens the node window.
    > in the node window - Click on the Sub Scene node, should be the third one on the right.
    > In the right panel Click on the pencil (edit icon) on the model.
    > Now on the PTModelSubScene list of 3d parts of your object, click on the triangle to open up more options, from here you can drag and drop in your texture! Do this for each part of your model.

You can now close all the windows and get back to game making! Not sure why texturing FBX is so much more hidden compared to OBJ - hopefully will be fixed soon!

Vlad-NY likes this.