AppStore Visit / Download Ratio

Discussion in 'Game Marketing' started by trudnai, Dec 8, 2015.

1. trudnai

trudnai Miniboss Boxer

Hey Guys,

What is considered a good ratio for AppStore visits / Downloads? You know, the number you can see from iTunesConnect -> App Analytics.

Thanks,
    Tamas

playsgames6666 likes this.
  2. playsgames6666

playsgames6666 Miniboss Boxer

well i think a good number would be 1,000,000,000,000 visits and 1,000,000,000,000 downloads. :)))))
    But seriously i question myself on that before, Not sure depends on what the user is looking for.
    How good your screenshots are etc,
    myself, I'm sort of happy with 60 % downloads compared to visits, would love it to be higher,
    Not sure what is a good ratio, its a great question. wonder what others are.

Wings n Armor likes this.
  3. trudnai

trudnai Miniboss Boxer

Hehe, that would be great :)

Yeah I think I am doing something fundamentally wrong with my game. I have got only 10% which is ridiculously low compared to my calculator app which is almost 80%. This is my first game and I am very excited about this and game industry in general. I have started this way before purchasing BB and the development was blocking my concentration on BB games.

I would really appreciate if you guys could have a quick look at it, at least the AppStore page and just throw your honest thoughts straight on my. You do not need to be nice! I really need to know what is wrong so can make correction on my first BB game.

Link to Goldie Gems

Thanks,
    Tamas

4. Andy

Andy Miniboss Boxer

Constructive criticism... The icon and screenshots do not seem compelling. They don't give me any reason to download the game. I have no idea what the game is about or any indication of gameplay.

trudnai and Jamie like this.
  5. trudnai

trudnai Miniboss Boxer

Thanks for that @Andy. Is this only about the icon and screenshot or the entire theme / style / graphics quality is not appealing?

6. Christoph

Christoph Miniboss Boxer

To be honest, for my taste the theme is not appealing. Remember: we are living right now the flat area of graphic design.

But I don't think it's the main problem here, since tastes are different and many people actually like the style you did. The problem I see is that somehow, the elements do not pop out. Not in the screenshots nor the icon. For example I would make the icon only with gems. Make them the way so people want to grab them. And regarding the screenshots, I would delete the text elements you have now and put some punchlines over a simple 1 color graphical background. Something like: Move the gems to the bowl! Avoid the bombs! or Get the crazy bonus! And additionally, I would put some really big gems around the text to make it appear to be part of the screenshots.

Then, I recommend you to watch these videos I posted here: https://www.buildbox.com/forum/index.php?threads/game-career-coach-tutorials.789/#post-5139 Rick Davidson talks about the story you sell. It's not the game, but the story and I see that your game has a lot of potential. Are you a thief or a robber when playing? Why are there bombs? Create some mood and let the player fantasize about what is behind the game. It will give the game an entire new experience without changing a thing. Right now the reaction is like: why should I move these damn gems and avoid the bombs? Give them a reason to do so.

Last edited: Dec 9, 2015
    Jamie and trudnai like this.
  7. trudnai

trudnai Miniboss Boxer

Thanks, great stuff! I really appreciate it!

8. Andy

Andy Miniboss Boxer

I am speaking specifically about the icon and screenshots as far as being compelled to download and play the game... but you may infer the same about the game itself if the screenshots are a fair representation.

9. trudnai

trudnai Miniboss Boxer

Makes sense, thanks Andy. Actually I had a hard time to try to get better screenshots as playing and pressing Power+Home at the same time is kinda challenging. Maybe I will shoot an HD video instead and then can save still images from there.

But even then one of the difficulty is that when playing everything looks good because of the dynamics of it - this is a fast moving graphics all the way. Then just grabbing one still image out of it just does not give you the feel of it. Maybe it needs a post work with a graphics designer to make it look like it was moving all around. I draw all those graphics by myself but being a software developer I consider myself as a beginner on graphics design :)

Thanks guys, loads of valuable info here on game design and marketing!

10. jwigrtqi

jwigrtqi Boxer

Well just upload a Video and take scenes from the video. The first thing we should see is your video

11. trudnai

trudnai Miniboss Boxer

I have actually video on the AppStore front, sorry if I was not clear. What I meant is that what needed to be done to take a perfect or nearly perfect screenshot is to take a video capture and find good places that looks good and then frame by frame check the area which one is the best for a screenshot candidate. Otherwise it is a tedious job, pressing the Power+Home is pretty much useless...