Android And Chartboost Ads

Discussion in 'Technical Discussion' started by rizwanashraf, Jan 5, 2017.

1. rizwanashraf

rizwanashraf Avid Boxer

Hello,

I am having some issues with Chartboost Ads On Android, I have tried few things to see if i can fix this issue but nothing worked. I also contacted Chartboost Support and They said :

Thanks for the follow-up. I downloaded the game and played for a few minutes while monitoring the network calls with a webdebugger (I use Charles) and noticed Chartboost successfully called and caching an ad. With that said, I continued playing the game, though did not see the Chartboost interstitial (or any other for that matter) appear. This is however good news, as we know the ads are caching to the device on bootup, however the showInterstitial call has yet to be made. What are the steps needed in the game to see the ad? When you're playing, are you seeing the ad successfully cached?

I was also in contact with Sean through Support and Sent him the BBDOC file and He got no issues and he was able to create APK with Ads. So i was guessing that Issue could be my Eclipse Installation, I followed Buildbox Guides accurately again. Removed The Eclipse Folder and re-installed it back did not fix this issue.

tried Admob Interstitials They did show up without any issues, The problem is only with Chartboost Ads, Another thing is I am using Admob banners and Chartboost Interstitial, Banners are appearing just fine.

Any one is having the same issue ? I am failed to fix this.

Screen shot of SDK manager. What is Installed with Eclipse.

[​IMG]

I am Using Buildbox Version 2.2.8
    Mac OSX El Capitan
    and Java SDK 8
    Eclipse from Buildbox Guides.

2. Alienone

Alienone Boxer

I have has the same issue, Chartboost and and Leadbolt do not work in any of my Android games, I also am using eclipse as well, also can not find the issue... Admob and Revmob work perfect...

3. Christoph

Christoph Miniboss Boxer

The only thing I can think of is that Java 8 is interfering somehow. Also, jcalle showed me how to set up Eclipse (since I really couldn't do it with the official guide) and this is what I have different to your set up (everything in bold)...

Tools:
    • Android SDK Tools (newest)
    • Android SDK Platform-tools (newest)
    • Android SDK Build-tools 23.0.3

Android 6.0 (API 23)
    • SDK Platform OK
    • Google APIs

Android 4.4W.2 (API 20):
    • SDK Platform

Extras:
    • Android Support Repository OK
    • Google Play Services
    • Google Repository
    • Google Play APK Expansion library
    • Google Play Licensing Library
    • Google Play Billing Library
    • Android Auto API Simulators

Try with this and report back. :) I can't assure it will work since I don't use Chartboost anymore. They are really really bad now in revenue.

Update:
    I guess a picture works better... :)

eclipse.png

rizwanashraf likes this.
  4. rizwanashraf

rizwanashraf Avid Boxer

Hey Brother,

I did everything you said. Now my SDK Manager exactly the same as yours but still No Ads.
    Can you check what Java Version you have ? Also what Version of Eclipse you have ?

5. Christoph

Christoph Miniboss Boxer

I use Java 8 as well since 7 isn't available anymore. And for Eclipse I use Oxygen Release Milestone 4 (4.7.0 M4). But as I said, I don't use chartboost at all so I really am not sure if this is going to solve anything. Looking at it from another point of view, do you have created a Chartboost campaign? This is necessary to have ads.

6. Andy

Andy Miniboss Boxer

As long as it builds the APK and generally loads and runs on a device then Java, Eclipse and the Android SDK should not matter too much if at all. What country are you testing from? Availability of ads has a lot to do with locale. Also the ad network could sometimes locked out a particular device from getting ads if there has ben too many shown or suspicious behavior patterns. Sometime resetting the advertising ID (not sure what the Android equivalent of doing this is) can help. The best thing to do would be to turn on test ads inside the Chartboost dashboard. At least that will tell you if the SDK is functioning correctly by displaying a test ad.

7. dusan20002

dusan20002 Avid Boxer

Hi @rizwanashraf
    On which device you testing your ads, and which Android is installed on it?
    If you testing your Ads in Device with 4.4 or lower Ads will show later, as 4.4 or lower can not handle that good Chartboost Video Ads SDK 6.5+.
    If you testing from 5.0 and above it should come up normally, maybe on first appearing it will show with little delay but it should work.
    Your Eclipse settings do not make any difference, but installed SDK API it make in your .apk file.
    Also Ads have many factors that is use in showing ads, like country, city, time of day, game that you have, availability of ads to show, keywords from Advertiser, your setting in Chartboost Ads etc.
    We using Eclipse Juno, Buildbox Version 2.2.8, Mac OSX El Capitan, and Java SDK 8 Update 111,
    - Android SDK Tool 25.2.4
    - Android SDK Platforms-tools 25.0.3
    - SDK Installed ( Android 7.1.1 API 25 for testing, Android 7.0 API 24 and Android 6.0 API 23 for publishing )

Hope we could assist you.

Christoph likes this.
  8. rizwanashraf

rizwanashraf Avid Boxer

Yes I have a Campaign, I am using Chartboost on the iOS Version which is working perfect. and also Java 8 i have with Eclipse Juno.

9. rizwanashraf

rizwanashraf Avid Boxer

Hi, I am testing in two countries. Pakistan and Germany. both places no Ads. I can see Banner Ads but no interstitial. That is something i havent thought of i could get locked out as well. I should contact Chartboost and see what they say ... But Same Game and iOS Version Gives Chartboost Ads perfectly ..

Also I have been testing Ads in Test Mode as well. The version Sean Created has Ads but not my APK.

Last edited: Jan 6, 2017
  10. rizwanashraf

rizwanashraf Avid Boxer

Hello ..
    I have various Devices, Galaxy Note, LG Tab and G4 and Virtual ( Genymotion, Droid4X) and all have different versions ..
    Yes but Why i get to see Ads on iOS Version but not on Android. Also Sean From Buildbox Support Created the APK File and i installed that version and Ads Appeared in Sean's Version but not mine, That is not Geolocation issue for sure.

11. Christoph

Christoph Miniboss Boxer

If I remember correctly, you need to set up a new campaign for Android. You can't use the iOS campaign for this. Another OS is like another game. I think this is the case on all ad networks, Chartboost as well.

12. rizwanashraf

rizwanashraf Avid Boxer

No, iOS has Seperate Campaign and Android has Seperate .. I have been using chartboost for very long.

Christoph likes this.
  13. spicedbeangames

spicedbeangames Miniboss Boxer

Can you not try testing on another device or use a friends device to have a quick look? If its just your device, clearly thats where the problem is.

14. rizwanashraf

rizwanashraf Avid Boxer

Hey, We are testing on various Devices, Samsung Galaxy, Note and Tab, LG Tab and G4, also Virtual Emulators like Genymotion and Droid4X, and also testing two people one in Pakistan and One in Germany.

15. spicedbeangames

hmmm. Have you double checked the settings for ads to show? Sounds dumb but maybe there's an extra .dot or space that shouldnt be there on the Chartboost settings. I would even double check those too - just in case.

When I publish on Eclipse I actually use ALL the Android API supporting from 4.03 up to 7 - so I don't know if the problem is there.

Maybe I am wrong but I was always under the impression that you must have the API installed in Eclipse to support all the versions you wish to support for Android and having just API 23 won't be enough to support Android devices using Lollipop for example/4.4

16. rizwanashraf

rizwanashraf Avid Boxer

Hey,
    Yes i have done these steps twice and there is no space or dot or anything in the code and chartboost settings ... everything is exactly the same as for iOS is set in.

Can you show me a screenshot of Installed APIs ? Ofcourse if possible.

I had installed API25 and API 20 and API23 installed before .. then i reinstalled Eclipse just to try with only API23 Fresh. None worked.
    I am baffled ... Cant find the solution whatsoever. :/

17. spicedbeangames

I haven't used eclipse since Christmas so there's an update which I haven't included in this. I've just looked again at my games and chartboost is working. I do also use Unity and with BB, they both share this SDK set up. The bottom row is what my Preferences look like with the SDKs added.

If you would like me to build you an Apk then give it a test, let me know.

Attached Files:

18. Christoph

Christoph Miniboss Boxer

Have you tried with the test mode? https://answers.chartboost.com/hc/en-us/articles/200780549
    General things to look for: https://answers.chartboost.com/hc/en-us/articles/201121969-Why-can-t-I-see-ads-in-my-game-
    Otherwise I really don't know what else to do without having a look at the project or the dashboard myself. Also, have you got your hands on the APK from Sean to see if it works on your devices? This way you can make sure it isn't anything related to your geolocation or IPs.

Sorry if I couldn't help at all. Have you thought of using Heyzap Mediation which probably would be easier to troubleshoot because it has a test suite integrated?

19. rizwanashraf

rizwanashraf Avid Boxer

Yes i have been testing on Test Mode as well ..
    Yes I got the APK from Sean and It worked .. so it is definitely not a Geolocation Issue because i was able to see Ads in Sean's APK file which he said He did not change any single thing in the template nor in eclipse and created an APK just like that.

No Also not using meditation. Simple Admobs and Chartboosts SDKs from Buildbox itself.

20. rizwanashraf

rizwanashraf Avid Boxer

I would like to give it a try and install All of the APIs or maybe Most of them .. to see if it works ...
    Thank you for the screenshot ...

spicedbeangames likes this.