100 Bucks To Whoever Can Answer These Questions For Me

Discussion in 'How Can I...?' started by Pellek, Jul 10, 2017.

1. Pellek

Pellek Boxer

Hi! I've read around on here and realized very many questions go un-answered, so I would like to ask if there is anyone either working for buildbox, or just very experienced with Buildbox 2, who can answer some questions for me for money. My questions are pretty basic, so anyone who wanna make a quick $100, and more money later as well (as I'm sure I will run into more issues), please email me at pelle.aasly@gmail.com, if you can answer all (or atleast most all) of the following questions:

#1 Does the .bbdoc file work as a backup on its own or do I need all the files on the computer to work on the project? If it doesn't can I backup my project somehow in case my PC get stolen or something?

#2 Right now, when my character dies, he can click continue for all eternity. How do I make it so that my character only has 5 lives (continues)?

#3 How can I make an object in-game that gives the character an extra life?

#4 When the game is over and the character has no more lives/continues I have the screen set up to link to either "exit" or "visit the shop" where I want the character to be able to buy more lives for real life money. How do I do this?

#5 How can I select a different looped song per world? Right now I only have the option to put in a song at the main menu and loading, and that song loops throughout all the worlds. It crashes with the different themes of the worlds I've made, plus I've had my sound producer make 9 different songs for the game, which I want to use. (PS: My Worlds go from one to the next, there is no screen in between worlds. I prefer it that way)

#6 I want the distance traveled to determine the highscore. How can I display the players score in realtime on screen during playing, the players score after dying, and also have a leaderboard on the main menu showing the worlds best scores, and the score of the player and where he is on the list in comparison to everyone else?

That's it. Thanks for reading.

2. wesam_badr

wesam_badr Miniboss Boxer

I am going to answer all your question so other people can also learn about that if you want to learn more you can contact me my skype bellow.

1- yes the bbdoc backup all the files on its own all the images and sounds that you drop in BuildBox get saved in the bbdoc if you saved the bbdoc in BB of course. then you will need to uploads this bbdoc in a cloud base app like dropebox in case your computer gets broken or stolen.
    2- i didn't understand your question well if your character dies it goes to game over it can get a live and continue the game only if there was a checkpoint.
    3- unfortunately you can't but I think there are some tricks that you can use as I saw some game use it
    4-there is no direct lives system that works in BB so what you are trying to achieve it's not possible right now / so what you see in regular games that the character has 3 hearts as an example and that you can buy this hearts to give the character extra lives is not possible in BB engine.
    5- yes you can put for every world its own song you just need to attach for every world its own ui you just need to find a workaround or give up your idea / or to use only one song.
    6- score system i work great you just need to focus if you have a lot of world in your game so some of what you stated it can be done

3. ThinkSimple

ThinkSimple Boxer

Rather save the money, the answers to most of your questions you can find on the game making series. But I can answer some of them.
    #1 You can delete Images and Audio files from your computer and still use them in buildbox, so they are saved in the bbdoc file.
    #3 Not possible
    #5 Create for each world a new UI in the game mind map, from there you can select an audio file.
    #6 Steps:
    1. Open the Projects Settings(in the top right corner) and chose "distance" as score type.
    2. Drag in a text label in the world UI which is connected to your world. Chose function "score", score type "distance" and amount "current"
    3. Drag in a text label in the game over UI and do the same steps as in step 2

4. adrogdesigns

adrogdesigns Avid Boxer

no.2 i don't think is possible to do that.
    no3. is not possible
    so there fore no 4. is not possible.
    no1. yes you can just use the bbdoc as a back up.
    no5. you will need to have a different UI for each world, and set each UI music that you want.
    no6. you can display a leaderboard on a menu displaying positioning, only game centre of google leader boards.
    Keep your money.
    most times questions don't get answered as the question isn't clear, or no one knows thew answer

5. Pellek

Pellek Boxer

Very generous of you adro, and thanks to you too wesam. I'm disappointed I can't really utilize many of the features I wanted, I wish that atleast there was a way the player couldn't just play forever until he completes the game, but now I know how to move forward. I will just delete the whole shop feature since I can't sell lives, remove the "continue" feature, and make it a shorter game where the player only has one life (can't continue), and whoever gets the furthest before dying gets the highest score. I attached new UI per world now, thanks for that. I didn't quite understand how to set up a leaderboard though, especially a global one displaying everyone's highest score. Any chance you could collaborate on that? Or atleast on what my options are in terms of scoreboards?

6. Pellek

Pellek Boxer

Thanks SO much man. Little issue:
    The picture I put behind it stays in the same place, I would love it if it could stay top left all the time. Same with the score that for some reason goes to the middle of the screen right after I run for a few secs. Any fix?

Attached Files:

• 1.png
      1.png
      File size:
      709 KB
      Views:
    • 2.png
      2.png
      File size:
      508.4 KB
      Views:
  7. Pellek

Pellek Boxer

PS: I've put "Stick to edge" on the score, but it doesn't stick to the edge. Also no options to make an object stick to the edge

8. wesam_badr

wesam_badr Miniboss Boxer

you can make for every world its own score to show but you can't make a global leaderboard as it will show always in the leaderboard the highest score in any of the worlds. also, you can make the continue button to make the player continue playing from the point he dies using checkpoints and an action button that gets bought by in-app currency or watching vid ad.

9. trudnai

trudnai Miniboss Boxer

Displaying score should go onto the UI, not onto the scene -- Unless your aim is that it should stick to a specific position on your scene and you are ok with it to scroll out of the screen... You can open the UI editor and drop images as background fro your score table and text elements with the score info.

Btw developing BBDOC on a DropBox is a very good idea, I do the same. Every time I save it, it automatically goes up into the cloud, and that process is actually faster than saving the BBDOC (dropbox uses an advanced binary diff algorithm that makes it possible to upload only the changes, not the entire file when you change it). DropBox also keeps 30 days of history of your changes, even if you delete the file you can get that back. Or if you made a crazy change and you do not know how to get that back, you can just revert your file on DropBox dashboard to a previous version.

I also frequently press Cmd+D on the BBDOC on my Mac to create duplicates -- pretty sure you can duplicate files on Windows too. That way I am not solely rely on DropBox's 30 days version history...

Oh and also better to create all art and everything on DropBox, so you keep everything in a safe place, not only the BBDOC...

ThinkSimple and Sean Buildbox like this.
  10. Pellek

Pellek Boxer

Fixed it, thanks very much man :)