Change Color Of Object At Scene Level

Discussion in 'Buildbox 3.0' started by steve, Mar 7, 2019.

1. steve

steve Avid Boxer

I've been trying to change the color of an object within the 3D World Scene.

I set the pin next to the color picker in the objects 3D model, which makes the color picker available when the object is dragged into a scene, but any changes made to the color at that level are ignored by BB3.

I raised the issue with support to see if it was a known bug and if it would be fixed with the up comming release.

After a few emails back and forth I'm told
    "I don't think we see it as a bug, it's how it's intended to work and it's the same in BB2. If you want red, green and blue boxes, you need to have 3 different assets for each of them. This mechanics is not going to change. "​

To me this seems ridiculous. BB3 is all setup to allow it to be implemented and probably requires just 1 or 2 lines of coding to make it work. All other variables can be changed by pinning, but apparently not color.

I thought the whole point was to have a tool that allowed us to build games without coding, yet I'm being forced to include a script to enable such a feature.

The alternative is to import a separate object for each different color version of the object you want in your game. So say you were building a game like Helix Jump and wanted to have different colors for the objects on each level, you'll have to import different objects for each level (or add a script node to get around the shortfall).

Anyone else think this is ludicrous? @Josh (Tekanology) Is this really the official line on this?