World - Forced Movement And Object - Linear Velocity Relationship?

Discussion in 'Technical Discussion' started by minibraun, Jan 10, 2017.

1. minibraun

minibraun Boxer

Hi guys,
    I'm trying to find out what's the relationship of world - Forced Movement and object - Linear Velocity.

I did some testing and it seems that the two variables are linearly dependent, meaning that one just needs to be multiplied by a coefficient to get the other.

FM - Forced movement
    LV - Linear Velocity
    c - coefficient = 0.625

FM * c = LV

Trough trial and error I've arrived at c=0.625. But I would like a developer of BuildBox to confirm the true number so we can use this with confidence.

Where would we even use this?
    If you build a world with the same Forced Movement Min and Max values, you would assure that the world moves at the same constant pace.
    You could then use the coefficient (0.625) to calculate an object's linear movement to sync it with the game world movement. Basically, your object would just float on the same part of the screen without moving, you can imagine this as an enemy constantly flowing you.

Example:
    Forced Movement: min = 70, max = 70
    Coefficient = 0.625
    Linear Velocity = 70 * 0.625 = 43.75

Dear Devs:
    Ideally, the devs of BuildBox can add "Use Forced Movement" checkbox to the object settings or just "Float on Screen" option under Object Type. Pretty Please!!! :)

Selasu and Christoph like this.
  2. minibraun

minibraun Boxer

UPDATE: wooops, didn't notice that the above coefficient only works if the following world conditions are true:
    Time warp = 50
    Velocity Drag = 88

3. Christoph

Christoph Miniboss Boxer

It's the velocity drag that messes with the 1:1

4. minibraun

minibraun Boxer

Both Time warp and Velocity Drag play a role in it.
    Velocity drag is actually a percentage.
    If you were to enter VD = 88, the number used in their calculations will not be 88% or 0.88. They will use 1 - 0.88 = 0.12

What's kind of awesome about that, is the fact that if you were to enter a number above 100, like VD = 112, the number used will be negative 1 - 1.12 = -0.12.

The effect: everything in the game will go in the opposite direction than intended. (not very useful, but very fun haha :D)

Christoph likes this.
  5. Christoph

Christoph Miniboss Boxer

Yeah. Time warp at 50 is "neutral".