Will A Publisher Accept A Game That Has Already Been On The App Store?

Discussion in 'Game Marketing' started by Skrubzy, Dec 9, 2017.

1. Skrubzy

Skrubzy Avid Boxer

This is all hypothetical, but I'm really curious. If I create a game and self-publish it to Google Play or the App Store, but it doesn't do very well download-wise (Promotion and marketing is bad, for example) Would a game publisher like Ketchapp or Fortafy Games still accept the submission? Would you even have to notify the publisher that the game has been on the market before, and that it didn't pick up in popularity?

2. brakewind723

brakewind723 Serious Boxer

Yeah most scenarios they will. Publishers now do their own retention testing so thats how they would figure out if your game is a hit or miss through their own analytics.

3. Skrubzy

Skrubzy Avid Boxer

Okay, thank you. If this is true, why doesn't everyone self-publish first for a chance to get all of the revenue -- instead of just a portion? Plus, you could create your own game-brand-name (if the app is successful), instead of the publisher getting all the credit.

4. brakewind723

brakewind723 Serious Boxer

Publishers (most of the time) are marketing and advertising genuises with large ammounts of money that they can put into marketing. Self publishing without having a large budget for advertising or having someone with a large following/fanbase behind you will most of the time not get you much in terms of revenue. Your best shot is an apple feature if you are going the solo route, but that doesn't guarantee riches or success either to be honest.

@Skrubzy

Skrubzy likes this.
  5. jcalle

jcalle Miniboss Boxer

An editor can get in touch with you if he has seen your work.
    For example, there are actors who are chosen by the director because they liked their performance in some movie. Or actors who are chosen by directors for their appearance (Harrison Ford was a joiner).

6. Skrubzy

Skrubzy Avid Boxer

If I were to upload a game that doesn't get very many downloads, how would an editor find my work? Should I email them a link to the app store, or something that?

You said "editor" instead of "publisher", are you talking about someone who would want to create a trailer for the game as marketing?

7. jcalle

jcalle Miniboss Boxer

Sorry, I use Google Translator.
    Editor or publisher, I think it's basically the same.
    Someone is interested in your game, and wants to publish it, be it a commercial, or a company, either to publish it or to pay for advertising in your game.
    There are many publishers who constantly review the app stores, and to look for a success, they do not look at the Top of downloads, they check new games, or games with little public, to modify the game as they want and have a bigger audience.
    For example, Color Switch was created with BB, had a medium audience, a publisher contacted the author, modifications were made, the game was even made again with another Software other than BB, and the result you can see yourself.

What I'm trying to say is that you have to make yourself known all over the world.

A publisher can ask you for a Demo or a video, it all depends on what you have seen and want to see.

8. Skrubzy

Skrubzy Avid Boxer

I was under the assumption that Color Switch had contacted a publisher before the game was ever released? Sure, the creator (I forgot his name) "leaked" screenshots as promotion to get players hyped, but are you sure he didn't have a publisher when the game was first put on the app store?

Also, why would someone even need a publisher...is it just for marketing reasons or do they invest money into the game's development/artwork too?

9. jcalle

jcalle Miniboss Boxer

I do not know exactly the history of Color Switch, but what I am sure is that the publisher will have asked for some Demo or video. The first versions of Color Switch were created with BB.
    A publisher has the experience, the money or the power to promote what you want, that is, a good seller could sell land in the desert.
    For example, if a game is advertised by Ketchapp, it does not matter if it is a bad game, it will have at least 1 million downloads, just because Ketchapp publishes it. As for example these games:
    https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.ketchapp.fingerspinner
    https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.ketchapp.bitcoin

10. Skrubzy

Skrubzy Avid Boxer

The reviews on that BitCoin game are sad lol

Does the publisher just help with promotion costs, or development prices too? Should the game be completely finished and paid for before I even contact/sign with a publisher, or would they give me some more time to perfect it?

11. jcalle

jcalle Miniboss Boxer

I do not think a publisher will pay you any development costs.
    It is preferable that the product is at a very advanced stage, if not finished.
    It is useless to have a prototype of Color Switch with 2 levels, if the editor requests 100 different levels, and it takes 1 month to make the levels, and 1 month to make the modifications indicated by the publisher.
    Normally no publisher will pay you before, always wants to see the final product.
    Other publishers pay according to the success of the game.
    Other publishers pay for the idea of the game and only a 2-level template is necessary.
    Other publishers only pay if they reach a money goal.
    Other publishers make you a contract with the devil ....

I advise you to make several games, do not get involved in 1.
    With experience and time, a publisher will contact you, either because you have sent an email, or because they have seen your work.

Needless to say, any game has to have a minimum of quality.

Danlespect and Skrubzy like this.
  12. 5petersonzachary

5petersonzachary Serious Boxer

Yes they will! :)

13. Danlespect

Danlespect Avid Boxer

Very interesting, thanks guys !