watch video ads on gameover screen

Discussion in 'How Can I...?' started by michel15, Feb 23, 2016.

1. michel15

michel15 Boxer

Hi everyone,
    I want to know if it's possible to be able to watch a video ads when user dies and be able to continue from that stage in the game

2. BossGames

BossGames Boxer

Hey man I don't think u can do it in BB 1 but maybe in bb2 which one do u have ? Why u don't just put ads on game over screen ?

3. JustWatchApps

JustWatchApps Avid Boxer

@michel15 Do you mean that you want to give the player a choice to continue at game over (if they watch an ad) - or do you want to make them watch the video at every game over. Thanks

4. Gregory Storm

Gregory Storm Avid Boxer

I'm interested in giving the player the option to continue at Game Over if they watch an ad.

5. vedavyas_kadudas

vedavyas_kadudas Boxer

Is there any way to implement this in BB2? I am using stack scenes.

6. wesam_badr

wesam_badr Miniboss Boxer

as there is the ability to the character to have health i am not sure if its possible if you can make a button to give extra health to the character and link it to a video.

7. Gregory Storm

Gregory Storm Avid Boxer

Here's what I did to make this work in my game. I created Checkpoints throughout the game.
    1. Create an Restart Checkpoint action.
    2. On the Game Over screen, create a Purchase Button with the Action Selection set to your Restart Checkpoint action.
    3. Select Buy & Use.
    4. Change Purchase Method to Rewarded Video.
    5. Set your Interval to 1 or higher.

Once complete, your players will be able to continue from the last checkpoint that they touched. Make sure to NOT have a checkpoint close to an obstacle because if you do, the player will instantly die when they spawn.

NOTE: A BIG flaw in this method of Buildbox not being able to name ad locations is that some ad networks give the reward early and so the game starts in the background behind the ad and by the time the player closes the ad, they have already died again.

JustWatchApps and playsgames6666 like this.
  8. JustWatchApps

JustWatchApps Avid Boxer

Here is a video that shows some good info - including the steps listed by @Gregory Storm above.

Gregory Storm likes this.
  9. vedavyas_kadudas

vedavyas_kadudas Boxer

Thanks a lot @Gregory Storm and @JustWatchApps this worked. However, I'm stuck with two new issues now:
    1) The game over screen stays when the game is running after I hit restart checkpoint button
    2) The score/coins do not add up to the previous score/coins.

Any thoughts???

10. anngelinoo

anngelinoo Avid Boxer

Follow this tutorial

11. Snow

Snow Boxer

Well guys, I am trying to implement this in my game yet I have a very important question and I hope someone here can help me. How can I set the button in a way that it ALWAYS shows up ONLY THE FIRST TIME the player goes to game over screen?

Let me clarify. Let's say I set the interval of the purchase button to "1". The player starts the game, loses and goes to the game over screen where he sees the button. He chooses to press the button, watch the reward video and continue from his last checkpoint, then he dies again, goes to the game over screen and the button isn't there. Perfect. That is exactly what I want to achieve.

HOWEVER, if he chooses NOT to press the button, and instead presses the "restart button", when he dies I want the button to be at the game over screen, but it won't, since the purchase button interval is set to 1, which means the button will only appear the next time the player goes to game over screen.

I hope you guys understand what I am talking about and can help me out, thanks!

12. anngelinoo

anngelinoo Avid Boxer

You can set interval time appare for you reward button :)

13. Snow

Snow Boxer

Well, thank you for the quick response but I apologize since I don't quite understand what you are suggesting exactly. Can you please explain more thoroughly?

Remember, what I want is the purchase button to appear once the player dies, but NOT if he had immediately previously used it. The problem is that if I set the "interval" to 1, the mechanic doesn't work if the player chooses not to press the button the first time, since the next time the button won't be there.

14. anngelinoo

anngelinoo Avid Boxer

Create the reward button, which at the button settings you have intervals and how many times to display it, you can select 1 and it will appear just after the game over screen

15. Snow

Snow Boxer

Man, I appreciate the response and all, but I know how to set the interval of the purchase button. The problem is what I described earlier.

So let me be a little more clear just so we are all on the same page here:

If i set the interval to "0", then the purchase button will appear EVERY TIME the player goes to the game over screen. I DO NOT want that. Why? Because then the player can simply watch a reward video to restart from their last checkpoint, when they die after that they will be able to watch another reward video to begin from the latest checkpoint, and basically it will ruin the whole experience as the player will be able to play indefinitely and get a score as big as they want, jut by watching ads, which may be "cool" when they first realize but after 4 plays it will ruin the experience and they will uninstall the game.

If I set the interval to "1", that means that the reward button will only appear every second time the player goes to game over screen. Now there are two cases here.

The first case is that, once the player goes to game over screen they will watch the rewarded video and restart from their latest checkpoint. Great so far. Then, when they die immediately after that, the button won't appear at the game over screen. That is exactly how I want things to work.

However, the second case is that the player will not press the rewarded video and instead he will restart the game from the beginning. The problem is that when he dies now, the button won't be displayed at the game over screen.

What I want is the purchase button to always appear at the game over screen, BUT NOT if the player has used it immediately before.

16. Snow

Snow Boxer

Oh come on guys, anyone?

17. spicedbeangames

spicedbeangames Miniboss Boxer

The only way around this is to create a new game over SCENE. Use the UI you currently have. Then in the scene, set the Play cooldown cool down to the required amount of plays. It's not something I have played around with much yet but I imagine you can use this to get your deserved result

18. Snow

Snow Boxer

I don't quite catch that, I am sorry. How will the game over scene help me? And how am I supposed to TRANSFER my character into that scene after he dies? Can you please explain with a bit more details?

19. adil zaheer92

adil zaheer92 Boxer

what is the correct way of using play cooldown ? its not working for me