Set Isometric Collision Shapes & Other Issues Like Desire Path

Discussion in 'How Can I...?' started by Kokoro Paris, Dec 2, 2017.

1. Kokoro Paris

Kokoro Paris Boxer

Hi everyone,

I could say I am new to BB but my question is obviously gonna reveal that ! More than a beginner, I am not very gifted !

I'm trying out BB in order to build a vertical isometric game that behaves as a platformer.
    You can move left or right to go and explore different levels, on isometric cubes that can be associated to be platforms or paths going left or right, exactly like Desire Path.

the Game:
    The game will be focused on sound. You will have to listen to music and sound elements in order to guide your self through the isometric maze. So the ball will through the game and at certain checkpoints activate sounds to listen to, guess if its the right sound and go that way, or go back and listen to a second choice and so on.

Background:
    It's a game that will help players learn about Music Listening and I develop the music methodology and music enigmas with my dad who is a long time musician. so it's a family affair.

Now my problems
    which are very basic so I hope that even if you guys will sigh heavily at such questions haha, you can help me out.
    I do not understand how to set 1. the collision shapes and 2. the character and world setting
    My hope is to achieve a gameplay similar to Desire path without the world scrolling on the player, just with the camera moving. the specificity of Desire Path is that its isometric but not One Directionnal (like Jump ball would be), which complicates it in mu mind on how to set it up properly.
    Could you let me know some tips on :
    - how to set up the world gravity of such a game
    - how should the collision shapes of my isometric cubes be for the character to fall on it but not fall from the game.
    - how to set the gameplay so for the character to jump left exactly one cube by hitting the left side of the screen and how to jump right to do the same on the right.

Now its a lot of questions so hope you guys have some nuggets for me.

thanks

JD

noahcdesign likes this.
  2. Christoph

Christoph Miniboss Boxer

Great project you have here. Congratulations. I think best would be if you go through all tutorials available to understand the basics of the software first. Once you understand the logic of it it’s easy to play with it and come up with the mechanic you need. And if you are in a hurry, as a second step, it would make sense to buy a template from one of the many template sites out there. Then you can use what you need from it and add your own stuff. That’s what I would do in your position. :) good luck with your game and keep us posted on your progress. Welcome to the Buildbox community.

Kokoro Paris and adrogdesigns like this.
  3. Kokoro Paris

Kokoro Paris Boxer

Hi @Christoph. Thanks for quick reply on this. Actually have good through a couple of the official tutorial series but will have an other round at those and some new ones to understand better some of the concepts and be able to play with it. cheers