Resizing video and picture for publishing.

Discussion in 'Technical Discussion' started by Pavel Baikov, Oct 6, 2015.

1. Pavel Baikov

Pavel Baikov Boxer

Any of you had GOOD experience changing an app preview video size to fit the different screens when preparing for submission? What is the best way to resize dimensions/proportions of a video to fit iphone 4, 5, 6 and ipads.

2. Pavel Baikov

Pavel Baikov Boxer

I tried to do it with iMovie, but I can not find a way:( I checked google, and seems like iMove lets you do it, but mine won't. I was thinking of buying software, but not sure which one will allow me to do that. All help highly appreciated.

I have recorded the video on an iphone 6+ connected to macbook pro using Quicktime.

3. darren

darren Avid Boxer

apple makes it way harder than it should be to make those preview videos. i've recorded from iPhone 6 plus 1920x1080 and for iPhone 6, had to scale down to 1335x750, lock (or unlock) the aspect ratio (i can't remember), and crop the video to 1334x750. i used after effects for that part but iMovie to make the preview videos

4. Machine Rises

Machine Rises Serious Boxer

I've always used Adobe Premiere for resizing. But you may not have that software. iMovie and other consumer level software will typically not have the bells and whistles you need for things like this. I haven't used iMovie much before so I can't say for sure but AP definitely can accomplish this.

5. Pavel Baikov

Pavel Baikov Boxer

Hey Machine Rises. Thank for the opinion ;) Do you by any chance know how does it work with publishing? Lets say I place a video preview for iphone 6, do iphone 5 and ipad users get excluded from viewing it, or do the view it but distorted in some way?

6. Machine Rises

Machine Rises Serious Boxer

Sure thing @Pavel Baikov. I'm not sure but I would guess that they would not be able to see it. You could try contacting apple or use their forums for a specific answer on that though. I use all sorts of forums when I have specific questions only that group would know.

dhawal_tamakuwala likes this.
  7. Collin Wade Thiessen

Collin Wade Thiessen Avid Boxer

You need a video for each size in itunes connect I believe otherwise they will not see it.

Jamie likes this.
  8. stevinz

stevinz Avid Boxer

Last edited: Oct 6, 2015
  9. Phill Mason

Phill Mason Serious Boxer

I've had 'Handbrake' in my video tool kit for ages. Multi-platform, flexible and free.

To be honest though, that $3 app @stevinz mentioned above looks the ticket too.

10. darren

darren Avid Boxer

Smart move by that company to fill the niche.

11. mark

mark Boxer

This one really helped me... http://apple.stackexchange.com/ques...ake-app-previews-but-i-cant-export-the-correc

I use the method where I insert a png in the very beginning and shorten it to 0.1 seconds... No one can ever tell.

The best thing is to film with and iphone 6 plus and size to ip6, ip5, but you can use any of those devices to size to that device group. Also depending on the game I might just resize to iPad if its not my next billion dollar game ahahahah, but otherwise you can film an iPad size using quicktime. just depends how much time you want to spend on it. Even if you use a black image that is iPad res to your ip5/6/6+ grouping its not that bad as Apple just adds black bars to the preview anyway.

12. mark

mark Boxer

But for $3 I might just checkout that other site. Thanks guys!

13. AndyG

AndyG Miniboss Boxer

stevinz likes this.
  14. Pavel Baikov

Pavel Baikov Boxer

Thank you all. You have been very helpful. Shall try 3$ app.

15. dan_counsell

dan_counsell Avid Boxer

AndyG and mobile_gamegraphics like this.
  16. Mikssa

Mikssa Boxer

Thanks for your nice post. To video converter, if you want to play purchased or rented iTunes videos on non-Apple devices like Windows movie player, android phone, Samsung smart TV, etc. You may need to use a DRM video converter to help you remove DRM protection and convert videos from M4V to common MP4 format. Media Converter for Windows is such a program me to convert iTunes videos at 30x faster speed with zero loss quality.