Pretty Disappointed With Gta Movement Fbx

Discussion in 'Buildbox 3.0' started by mmicoe, Apr 1, 2020.

1. mmicoe

mmicoe Avid Boxer

Hi all,
    I'm pretty disappointed with
    gta.png
    "Create GTA movement inside buildbox with the new Fbx support !! Lets go !!!"

I am making a project using .fbx mixamo images on BB 3.2.0 B#3621:
    1. Character moves fine in BB3 Preview: no issues and the movement is very fast using parameters correctly and camera moves smoothly. Gravity works fine!
    Testing the project in BB preview everything works well! But of course, end users do not use the Buildbox preview, they use mobile devices.:(

2. After deploy the project to Android devices, character moves very very slow, camera is slow. The gravity does not working fine (very slow).
    3. After Collision character with enemies, game over screen it takes a long time to appear. (Slow)

Please, someone who can perform the same example (video tutorial) and test it on android devices?

4. After release BB 3.2.0 B#3621: (beta) button Exit still doesn't work on android devices!
    5. Button Remove ads in app purchases crashes if you insert a .mp3 sound!

I am outraged with Buildbox because I think priority issues like performance improvements should be fixed on Android devices and (iOS devices no tested).
    This way you can't do interesting projects with Buildbox.

Please, answers are well received!
    All the best!
    Mauro

2. spicedbeangames

spicedbeangames Miniboss Boxer

What android device/version are you testing on? Did you resize your asset or use an asset that isn't very demanding on resources? You just have to test test test until you find the right balance. The FBX support is new and in beta, so it will be improved over time

3. mmicoe

mmicoe Avid Boxer

Hello,
    I followed the same example that appears in the tutorial.
    1. I download the character from mixamo and import it o BB3 (by default like in tutorial).
    (I think, if the character wasn't right, it doesn't work in the BB preview either)
    2. After, I scale it to fit on the screen.

I testing on: (All my games, including a platformer project I making in BB3 work fine on theses devices!
    Galaxy Tab A - Android 8.1.0
    Xiaomi Mi A1 - Android 9

I have been testing for a long time without solving anything and did not advance.
    Waiting for an answer, thanks!
    All the best!
    Mauro

4. Elite Games

Elite Games Avid Boxer

Android devices have fps issue we all have this same issue.
    on computer it runs 60 fps and on android fps rate is very slow it increase and decrease with time i think that is due to high end usage of resource for calculating collisions and displaying 3d mesh in game.

5. spicedbeangames

spicedbeangames Miniboss Boxer

In the BB preview I noticed you have to play with the camera angle and position otherwise you just see a grey screen. It's still work in progress as it is new.

6. Josh (Nology Games)

Josh (Nology Games) Avid Boxer

We understand the Frustration that a Beta can bring and given that this is the first FBX we understand it is even more so. The updates in the future will begin to solve this problem. This is a Beta so any feedback is good feedback. If any more issues arise, send us an email at support@buildbox.com

mmicoe likes this.
  7. mmicoe

mmicoe Avid Boxer

Thank you Josh!
    For now I will park projects that use a lot of 3D graphics and I will wait for further updates to solve fps rate on devices, thats the problem and it not only happens with fbx files!
    All the best!

8. Vlad-NY

Vlad-NY Serious Boxer

There are few possible issue that cause this drop rate as follows:
    - The floor has receive and cast shadows options active even if it is not necessary. I find out that when you have a small object and scale it up and have those 2 options activated the number of calculations increases for some reason because it has a larger size object to sample.
    - 90% of the objects are Dynamic and not static even if they are furnitures therefore the physics engine tries to calculate velocity, position etc even if they are not interacting with the player
    - There are 3 or 4 light sources in the same spot making shadows calculation so expensive that is seen in this demo. Probably the range is set to 100 or higher and the light is bouncing outside the viewport making it so expensive on resources.

Conclusion: The BB3 engine is not optimized so you have to be careful of what you use when and why. There is no need to calculate physics on objects that are not in viewport nor to use hundreds of light sources. There are some improvements that can be made for this kind of issues but I don't think they are public yet. And they won't be very soon.

*Note:* This issue is not caused by new FBX build it is something that we had in place even on beta BB3 version and wich was carried on release by release. We are far away from optimization with this game engine

9. mmicoe

mmicoe Avid Boxer

h
    Hi,
    I've tried all those solutions and that fixes the performance 5%! That is not the solution!
    Engine must optimize the meshes. The engine should optimize meshes regardless of the size of the character which has nothing to do with the weight of the character or the project.
    Regards,