Pitching To Apple - iOS9 Features??

Discussion in 'Game Marketing' started by Phill Mason, Dec 1, 2015.

1. Phill Mason

Phill Mason Serious Boxer

When we build games with BB, it's difficult to list any meaningful new features from iOS9 when pitching to Apple for a feature.
    They always ask you to list 3 key features and they specifically ask (please be sure to list specific iOS 9 features). Anyone got any ideas of what we can pitch to them? From what I read about iOS9, I can't find any new features that we could highlight our games using? Any ideas? Thanks.

amazingafternoon and Jamie like this.
  2. netkomm

netkomm Avid Boxer

No feature introduced with ios 9 is relevant to gaming... Well, unless you are using."Metal" or any of their new libraries

ruhm64 and Kevin W like this.
  3. Phill Mason

That's the problem @netkomm I was hoping someone would have a nice lose link to a feature. I'll tell them my game uses the screen :)

dmmcmah likes this.
  4. Christoph

Christoph Miniboss Boxer

The 3D touch feature some games have would be a killer feature to pitch. But there is no way to implement this. I think the AppleTV support would also help very much.

5. Kevin W

Kevin W Avid Boxer

Highlighting iOS 9 features as @netkomm rightly says is not so relevant for most games, that said, look at the last keynote, the warhammer section nails it - better to focus in on levels, gameplay twists and leverage any social proof :)

JoeWilson likes this.
  6. Christoph

Christoph Miniboss Boxer

But do you list them as features? And what do you mean by social proof? I saw that Boombit games (https://itunes.apple.com/am/developer/boombit-inc./id1045926022) have some nice social features in the style of Candy Crush implemented. They also have 2 player modes and AppleTV support... They all got featured in the last weeks. Very impressive.

7. Kevin W

Kevin W Avid Boxer

Social proof could be reviews / beta test feedback / Previous download numbers etc - Boombit's last games have crushed it on Googleplay, featured as well, so I wouldn't be surprised if they mentioned that - TV support and 2 player mode would certainly be great talking points.

8. Jamie

Jamie Avid Boxer

@Kevin W where should we look for the keynote?

9. Kevin W

Kevin W Avid Boxer

Last edited: Dec 1, 2015
    Jamie and Collin Wade Thiessen like this.
  10. Phill Mason

All great points, thanks guys.

11. jwigrtqi

jwigrtqi Boxer

They were small changes to alot of things in IOS 9 only the major ones were at the keynote, what you should really think is that using Game Center for ladder boards. What apple really wants to know is how many of our features are you using so we can market your app to other people so they can buy an iphone. 3D Touch makes a big sense for alot of games that are short on UI space with the ability to expand UI menu's even further, if your game has this then i can tell you it will be featured by apple for sure.

Buildbox limitations make some of these things not so possible. But if you can implement apples gamecenter into your game then that;s also a feature of IOS 9.

Phill Mason likes this.
  12. Phill Mason

Good points @jwigrtqi 3D Touch certainly would be nice to be able to implement from BB, would make the menus very slick.

13. todro

todro Avid Boxer

What game center change do you mean in IOS9 as game center support is already included in BB1 and also with IOS < 9 ?

While menu enhancing might be nice, I belief that using the 3D Touch for buttons/ game control takes one to a totally new level. I checked this functionality as a "plum-o-meter" using a iPhone 6S and it is really impressive even to use it as a scale :D