Need Some Game Ideas!

Discussion in 'Game Showcase' started by harislatif, Jan 6, 2017.

1. AppNasty

AppNasty Miniboss Boxer

Flappy Bird had zero promotions. It just 'flew' off the digital shelves with no effort made by its creator.

Jaky1 likes this.
  2. ramiucef

ramiucef Avid Boxer

and i think Flappy Bird is one of the reasons why most of us are doing this buisness and making game, the sucess of that game is good exemple to prove that you don't need to make a heavy 3D Clash of Clan game in order to make it in the market .

sysads, Jaky1 and playsgames6666 like this.
  3. Jaky1

Jaky1 Serious Boxer

That is not 100% true. He did some automated installs for weeks, just to keep the app on top, that is why Apple forced him to remove the app off the store. There are many articles on this on the web.

Yeah Bro. Mine inspiration was Color switch. I thought if @Machine Rises can do it, we can too. ;)

meremy and ramiucef like this.
  4. MichKrane

MichKrane Boxer

Even if there were no articles all over the internet claiming that the developer of flappy bird had used these methods, just look at what he said when he "willingly" took the app off the app store.

He said "I can call ‘Flappy Bird’ is a success of mine. But it also ruins my simple life. So now I hate it.It is not anything related to legal issues. I just cannot keep it anymore. I also don’t sell ‘Flappy Bird’, please don’t ask."

Yeah, that's how you say NO to 50 FREAKING thousand dollars per day. It's just common sense. Something shady is going on here.
    Either way, this is not the point I am trying to make.

What I am trying to say here is that we all thought that there is even a 1% chance to create an app that is just "special" and it would "take off" on its own, because flappy bird did that. Well, it didn't and that chance is probably at 0.001% (if at all)
    Now flappy bird had also a lot of luck, and was certainly NOT UNIQUE, as many people claim. And I can't believe that people played the game because it was fun. They just played it because they wanted to beat their friends' highscores. It became a trend after a certain point, and I believe that was a result of many variables lining together.
    If flappy bird was not released three years ago but now, do you still think it would have become a success?

OFCOURSE you can succeed with indie games. You don't need heavy games. You don't need over-complicated mechanics and you don't need exceptional graphics. You need promotion. Which requires money, one way or another.

There will always be that game that will attract people, but it's getting harder and harder to make a minimal game that has the effect of keeping people engaged. (and make them come back for more). The reason people didn't uninstall flappy bird after 30 seconds, is because they wanted to show their highscore to other people, and to break that highscore, again only to show others. It was clearly not a matter of "addictiveness".

Christoph, ramiucef and Jaky1 like this.
  5. Jaky1

Jaky1 Serious Boxer

Yup it was competition, a trend to show that you are a champion, if you score more than your friends. :)

MichKrane likes this.
  6. AppNasty

AppNasty Miniboss Boxer

i remember reading that the game was online for like a year before it took off. The idea that he hated its success, but yet tried to promote it via auto installs? doesn't add up.

Jaky1 likes this.
  7. Jaky1

Jaky1 Serious Boxer

As far as I think he did not hated it.who hates 50k a day? That was just a story he made up so that his further games go well and people do not know what he did.

MichKrane likes this.
  8. sysads

sysads Serious Boxer

Yea you just leaked my secret :(

ramiucef likes this.
  9. meremy

meremy Avid Boxer

From what I read a while back, flappy bird had some promotion on some niche forums that eventually took off

10. sysads

sysads Serious Boxer

There is something we need to be aware of. Before flappy bird came into light, there where probably less than 5 thousand serious developers. The store's had less duplicate / cloned games.

After flappy bird showed us how easy it was to make money without investing too much in graphics and difficult game play, now we have:

- Over 1000% more developers overnight (includes 10% real developers, 65% reskinners/cloners, 25% non-developers)
    - Stores now have 25% unique games, 55% cloned/reskinned games, 20% junk games (this is my description of games that don't have any meaningful game play but more ads infested)
    - More Publishers springing up (Infact this was when I even knew about who publishers are :))
    - More games stores springing up including APK sites
    - If I am right, we might even have more games in all stores combined than total number of people playing games :eek:
    - Now have more sites selling game templates

The bottom line is what worked for flappy bird will never work for today's market. So we just have to look for knew ways to stay ahead of others especially the big players spending big in adverts.

11. harislatif

harislatif Avid Boxer

Yeah that is in fact a truth!
    So I'm just thinking that currently I'm 14 so when I'll be 25+graduated,So what kind of games will be alive,will indie developers even stand a chance or will even be there any 2D games or not?????Because what worked last 5 years no more works now!!!See past 5 years there were just about 10000 games uploaded per year and as by today there are more than million!!!!!!
    Wow! What a change????Increase by more than 1000%! So I belive that we should take the opportunity of "TIME" before it's gone!
    Don't thank about your past nor your future a lot just think about your today!!!!!!!!!!
    This is what inspires me and I believe one day I would be that liable to achieve it!
    So guys just never give up!!!!
    Hope this helps everybody a lot!

12. meremy

meremy Avid Boxer

Maybe that quote "to don't think about the past or future" works if you want to skydive or go climb mount Everest ,but not in development :))))) Understanding the past makes you better in the present therefore the future. Think about it like inventing a new type of computer. Is it better to know what was invented before you start , the mistakes and the progress, so you build UPON the previous inventors, or stay isolated on an island and work everything by yourself. In the end you will have "discovered" something that was already made and probably not at its full potential

Christoph and harislatif like this.
  13. ramiucef

ramiucef Avid Boxer

you're right , developers should work harder and smarter , this 2017 , and not 2011 , when people didn't even bother to make a good icon or screenshots for their games and got 100k+ install easily

Well , about 2D games , i think making indie 2d game buisness will survive , because people always want to play those minimalist design games with a simple control , small size .. , something you get addicted to it very fast , and you don't need to know any story or play for 30 in order to like it

harislatif likes this.