... make a decision?

Discussion in 'How Can I...?' started by kpportier, Nov 27, 2015.

1. tweettopix

tweettopix Boxer

Too be honest, after the trail period I still haven't' decided yet whether or not to buy a subscription. I see the many pros of BuildBox and the ease of use. But for some reason I am not able to implement the ideas I have in mind. Every time I think BuildBox is too limited, I won't take a subscription. Most of the games (or gameplay) also look the same. But then I see a video of a game made in BuildBox and think: "This is new! Is this possible? Wow! Maybe I should accept certain limitations of BuildBox."

I also have my doubts about how quick bug fixes are done.

What made you decide to take the step, and to buy BuildBox or to take a subscription. Are there any cons you decided to accept?

Hopefully your answer can let me make a final decision, 'cause I'm still in doubt.

2. sysads

sysads Serious Boxer

Well the answer lies here. These are some of the amazing games made with Buildbox. Buildbox is all about creativity. Take for instance, GameSalad, Stencyl, Construct 2, etc they all have limitations also. I don't think you can make a decent Tower Defense games with those but in the gaming world now, you have to discover which area you want to focus on - arcade, action, etc and build your game in that niche.

But why I went for Buildbox after trying GameSalad, Stencyl is because of the ease of use without any programming.

I bet you, with Buildbox, you can make hundreds of different game ideas from it, just take some time out with a glass of drink and think of what you really want to build.

Then start the project first and ask questions in the forum when you get stuck. Who knows what you thought could not be possible might actually be possible :D

Last edited: Nov 27, 2015
  3. Rebel Studios

Rebel Studios Avid Boxer

Hehehehe... Pretty easy decision to make if you have tried other game makers such as Game Salad or even Stencyl ;) As for the limitations of Buildbox... Why fret? Try thinking out of the box and you'll find a solution... We've seen dome pretty cool games from Buildbox if you ask me.. :)

4. TheViseOne

TheViseOne Boxer

I agree with what the guys said here, the limitations are more based on your creativity not the software. Sure BB is not the most versatile, but you have to keep in mind that you don't need to know any programming language and this is a key factor why BB is good for most of us.
    In general you have to ask yourself how can I do this within BB, there are more than one way how to create stuff within the software.

5. brakewind723

brakewind723 Serious Boxer

I consider myself kinda good at BuildBox and I can honestly tell you that their aren't as many limitations as you think. Their are plenty of hacks and tricks that I use and other developers use to create amazing unique games. I've made a Tower Defense level system, a rapid tapping game system, and more. The only limitations you have are your imagination. If you ever need help trying to bring an idea to life, myself or a lot of other Boxers will be happy to help out.

eyal likes this.
  6. Wings n Armor

Wings n Armor Avid Boxer

As a computer animator and a person who has knowledge on some of the most complex industry software, you will not find another software that is like buildbox. Not only does it allow you to produce effective games for various devices, it allows you to make games that are at a professional level to marketing to larger publishers. I started out reskinning games but found myself with just mimics of old outdated code that hindered me of what I wanted to render. No software will have all of your wishes granted, but BB gives you opportunity and the ability of creating something that is unique and profound.

7. netkomm

netkomm Avid Boxer

I was on day 7 (give and take) of my trial and I have made my mind to go with BuildBox full scale:

- I used gamesalad before. If you are a programmer it's not bad. However, you have no access to the source code of the project (you are provided only with a binary file) prevents you to have a good quality product especially if you develop on iphone and then you use the same game on an iPad (for instance). And for that there is nothing you can do. Drawback is that if you do not program... well that's it.

I used stencyl, monkeyX, gamemaker, and and the problem is always the same... time is money.

Sure the product does not allow the "freedom" and you are somewhat "restricted" to some styles of game that we can do BUT let's consider that if someone is a beginner and wants to get his feet wet into this arena, how much does he have to invest before being able to see his first dollar?

Ready to learn Swift/Objective C, Java, C# and the tons of related libraries required in order to launch your very first game?

And then, what to do if the first project tanks? How long before launching the second?

Buildbox offers a unique opportunity - and that's why I bought in - the opportunity to start "moving" and launch some ideas to market in almost real time, keeping costs under control and if a project won't work - no big deal!

If and then things will move up nobody stops any of us to adopt other tools and technologies but then we will be doing that with the confidence (and money in the pocket) that makes a giant difference.

kpportier likes this.
  8. Machine Rises

Machine Rises Serious Boxer

I made a game in 30 minutes right after I thought of the idea. This game landed me a publishing deal and is coming out this coming week. I spent a week building levels but the main idea and game mechanics were really that fast. Not saying you can land a pub deal with every idea but I had thought of dozens of ideas until I thought of one that I considered A+. I have no coding background other than having used GameSalad. I switched completely from GameSalad when I purchased bb and haven't looked back.

kpportier likes this.
  9. Cyberlab games

Cyberlab games Boxer

Everybody always gonna talk negative about something good like buildbox just shooting stuff down my aura gaming pro motherboard had people talking negative about it it is a very awesome motherboard just like buildbox it looks like a awesome game engine for people like me who don't wanna strain his brain with all that coding bs

10. bmsingha

bmsingha Serious Boxer

@tweettopix Well certainly no one can ignore this fact that buildbox has really emerged out as pure form of tool or let's say software where even a non-programmer can build something like cool stuffs. Yeah already have seen them on showcase. We too never thought of succeeding with our games like "SHADOWS" and many more coming in near months ;-). The only thing matters is that need some patience, light up the bulb in mind and try for some really really different reverse thoughts and simply implement in Buildbox. Just give it a try and surely man you can too make it the best of yours. As other boxers over here already mentioned that yeah there are other tools as well like game salad, stencyl etc, but in buildbox not even a single piece of coding is required until and unless you are willing to do some really extra ordinary stuffs. So in mine opinion as well, simply give it a try and yeah it can prove to be a better option if you want to opt for the best casual arcade gameplay. Of course you just expect everything as limitations would be there whatever you think so, but this one is really a fascinating tool for a non-programmer that can really compete with other tools :)

11. Cyberlab games

Cyberlab games Boxer

I'm Working on a space game not limited to me You Will see when it's compete

bmsingha likes this.
  12. Cyberlab games

Cyberlab games Boxer

B.B is Awesome I'm making a space adventure game topdown style

bmsingha likes this.
  13. Cyberlab games

Cyberlab games Boxer

My Game UI buttons is Transformers Font style because it's a space game ship is metal

14. Cyberlab games

Cyberlab games Boxer

power of buildbox