Major Bug With Best Score - Points

Discussion in 'Technical Discussion' started by covmon, Jun 21, 2018.

1. covmon

covmon Boxer

Hey,

So I exported my game and have been testing on device, and I've encountered what seems to be a really really weird bug with the best points function. Usually, the best points works. However, sometimes (seemingly randomly), the player's best points will go up when he/she didn't actually get a best score. This kept happening. There seems to be a pattern.

Let's say the user's best score was 100. They exited the app, then came back, so the high score still says 100. Then they score 68. As far as I remember, still nothing out of the ordinary happens. But then, the player scores 73, for example (5 more than their previous session best of 68). All of a sudden their overall "best score" also goes up by 5, to 105, even though they never actually scored 105.

The thing is, I can't even consistently reproduce the bug. I've only observed the bug on one device, an iPhone 6, and it only happens sometimes. I haven't been able to reproduce the bug on my iPhone 6s so far, but I'll edit this post if I observe it more.

I'm really weirded out by this, and can't think of anything that I could be doing wrong to mess this up. (My text is set to "function: score" and "world: all" and "score type: points" and "amount: best."

Has anyone had problems with best score points?

Is this a bug? Is this a mistake on my part?

Thanks for your help.

2. AaroArts

AaroArts Miniboss Boxer

Do you have a video?
    Usually when something like this is happening, it's because the labels are set up incorrectly.
    I would double check your labels and make sure you only use a specific "world" to ensure no points are collected whilst you're not in a game.

3. covmon

covmon Boxer

The only thing I can think of is that the label is set on “world: all.” I did this because I have some other worlds that if the player gets a new best score in, should still count as a new high score. I was under the impression that “world: all” will take the 1 best score from all worlds. Is that wrong?

Also I will say that even though it’s world:all, the weird bug/mistake was happening when the player played just in the main world and not in any other worlds.

I’ll try to post a video and upload it here when I can.

Thanks!

4. volcank

volcank Serious Boxer

@AaroArts @covmon I am having the same problem here I think. The thing is I add a score when player taps the screen and I use a large action button in UI. I set it to coins and points inside action cause seems coins collected doesn't work. Also Global Points and Coins doesn't seem to work. and no matter what I do when I test the game at leaderboard it always says no scores.

5. Lobsters

Lobsters Boxer

Has this been fixed/figured out?

I have multiple worlds and want to show the best score from all the worlds combined. It seems as though when i go through a set checkpoint for a second time it resets the score. I need to go through the set checkpoint more than once as its a staic level game and my set checkpoint is on top of my character when it loads.

I'm using:

World - All
    Score Type - Points
    Amount - Best

6. AaroArts

AaroArts Miniboss Boxer

I don’t think there’s an issue with Best Points.
    As you have it set up it should show the overall best score from all Worlds.

7. Lobsters

Lobsters Boxer

I want it to show the overall best score from all the worlds not the best score from each world

- player scores 5 points in world 1
    - moves to world 2
    - player scores 5 points in world 2
    - moves to world 3
    - player scores 5 points in world 3 and then dies

I want the best score on my MAIN UI to then display 15 points but its only displaying 5 points (which is the high/maximum score of a single world)

it seems so simple, i feel like its a bug

8. AaroArts

AaroArts Miniboss Boxer

Why is it a bug?
    The best score you can score is 5. So that’s why it’s displaying 5.

You need to set it to Total Points.

9. Lobsters

Lobsters Boxer

Wouldn't total points be an accumulation of every time i play the game?
    so i score 50 on my first play
    then i quit the app and score 50 again
    wouldn't the total points be 100?

dotcasualgames likes this.
  10. Lobsters

Lobsters Boxer

sorry, i should be clearer...
    each world is a level so i want the to total all the worlds score

11. dotcasualgames

dotcasualgames Boxer

Hey @Lobsters, I am going through the same thing, havent been able to figure it out yet as well. Been checking through the forum but there isnt any info on that. I was just about to send an e-mail to support as this is doing my head in :). Hopefully someone will shed some light on this :)

12. Lobsters

Lobsters Boxer

I sent an email to support and they told me to go to the forum :|

13. AaroArts

AaroArts Miniboss Boxer

Can you upload a BBDoc so we can see your problem?

14. TheGameAppStudio

TheGameAppStudio Serious Boxer

Hi,Instead of setting "best" set that to "total"
    function - score
    world -all
    scoretype-points/coins
    Amount-Total (Instead of best)
    do the alignment and set the font and try :)

15. Lobsters

Lobsters Boxer

Total accumulates the score every time we play which is not what i want. This is how i have coins set up and it works as it should.

16. TheGameAppStudio

Ok.Simple answer is "Not Possible" .Or may be add separate UI for each world and set manual score .i.e on getting 5 points moves to world 2 so set 5 points in world 2 UI as starting score.Add action or a reward button to allot score on next world.So it begins with 5 points and increments till 10 like wise for world 3 and finally set that best score points.

17. Lobsters

Lobsters Boxer

Thanks very much for the reply. So it seems i have to upgrade to the $99 plan to have multiple worlds... and then manually adjust the score per world

Seems terrible that we cant collate the score from multiple scenes/worlds into a total session score, this should be a basic feature.

dotcasualgames likes this.
  18. AaroArts

AaroArts Miniboss Boxer

If you upload a BBDoc with an explanation of what your trying to achieve it will be much easier for people to help :)

19. Lobsters

Lobsters Boxer

I dont really want to upload my game to the forum. Is there a way i can send it to you direct?

20. TheGameAppStudio

You are welcome.You could show total score from multiple scenes but not from world (unless you apply the above method).
    Yes you can.Click on the name and you will find an option to Start a conversation.Proceed and send ;)