Magicavoxel

Discussion in 'Level Design' started by heathclose, Oct 12, 2016.

1. heathclose

heathclose Miniboss Boxer

ok... have done some searching... but didn't find the answer here or on google actually... I'd like to use this thread for in depth discussion about MagicaVoxel

Some of you use it or have used it... and I'm just now discovering it.... I love the lighting and shadows... here's something that only took me like 5 minutes...

[​IMG]

couple questions...

How would I export isometric blocks to 2d pngs?

Is there a way to export rendered scenes to "usable" 2d?

What are the best practices on using MagicaVoxel to go from idea to Buildbox?

Does anyone know of a tutorial for creating isometric tilesets that I might not have found in my goooooogling?

Anything else you would like to share about MagicaVoxel for someone just discovering the program?

gatorbyte and Kevin W like this.
  2. spicedbeangames

spicedbeangames Miniboss Boxer

I have seen it but never used it because as far as I am aware, you can't export .pngs. But having BB support something like this would be awesome.

3. jerry

jerry Avid Boxer

Heath, have you used Hexels by Marmoset? It doesn't create the 3D shapes but you can accomplish the same look fairly easily. All output can be to individual PNG files or save out as a Photoshop file with layers that you can then edit further.
    - Hexels Site
    - Tumblr of Hexels work
    Might not be what you are looking for but for me it's the easiest way of creating isometric graphics.

4. Christoph

Christoph Miniboss Boxer

Hexels is amazing. If I had the time to learn a new program it would be Hexels. The art that can be made is breathtaking.

gatorbyte, playsgames6666 and jerry like this.
  5. heathclose

I thought we had more magicavoxel users in this community...

gatorbyte likes this.
  6. JoeWilson

JoeWilson Avid Boxer

I've played with Magicavoxel a while ago... it was pretty cool! I went back and forth between that an Hexels, never really mastered either. If I remember right it wasn't easy getting a png exported with an alpha channel out of Magicavoxel. I think I just gave up and brought it into photoshop and used the magic wand to delete the background. Didnt look as good after that . I think I had a hard time constantly getting the size straight across different images? .. but I really don't remember, this was like last year.

7. andre_sprs

andre_sprs Serious Boxer

I had the same issue with Magicavoxel and gave up. I played with Hexels but never got the hang of it.

8. playsgames6666

playsgames6666 Miniboss Boxer

i wasted so much time with magicavoxel and as everyone, haven't worked out to export to png with transparent background.
    It is great and easy to use but.
    The best i came up with was creating my floor and background, as a dark color then screenshot it, open in photoshop, then remove the background and floor, then tidy the edges of my voxel. Good time killer. LOL
    I used one character (animated flying chicken) and some trees i made once but the time wasted wasn't worth it.
    But there must be a way to export or create a transparent background, seems silly that it doesn't, but just haven't found out how.

9. trudnai

trudnai Miniboss Boxer

It is actually pretty easy, although I agree the user interface is not that intuitive. See that letter A next to the camera icon? That is the Alpha channel... Click on it, when it becomes bold then there is alpha channel (and believe or not on that screenshot that A icon is bold, very hard to distinguish between on and off... Also make sure the ground and background is off (GD and BG) and everything else but the shadows (SW). If you want an Iso game then you might need that isometric settings (Iso) instead of perspective as on this screenshot (Pers). Oh and with keys A and D you can set the angle, however, it is pretty hard to set to exactly 45 or 30 or 15 or whatever you want as it rotates way too quickly and you have to hit quickly back and force until you get lucky to get exactly the angle you want. Instead turn on the ruler and on that you can use double finger move on a Mac to set angle at a 5 degree precision (not sure on Windows or with a mouse, maybe with two buttons or middle button?)
    Screen Shot 2016-10-13 at 2.21.51 PM.PNG

10. gatorbyte

gatorbyte Boxer

@heathclose Im very new here , kinda slow moving but after reading your thread about magicavoxel I checked it out and WOW , It was super easy to create and export to my new production . Its really adding some good feels to it! Thanks for mentioning it.

heathclose likes this.
  11. JoeWilson

JoeWilson Avid Boxer

12. playsgames6666

Man serious, i am stupid. thanks for the detailed info. I have tried exporting images with transparent background and never been able to do it. I was doing it totally wrong LOL

13. playsgames6666

That looks pretty cool, 5 minutes hey, i would love to see what you would create in an hour.
    That glow effect is awesome too.

14. Brocky120

Brocky120 Avid Boxer

I used Magica Voxel.. however I had trouble exporting to BB as all my edges were very rough, I rendered it but it never made any different so I put my plans on hold for now. I might do some more research.

playsgames6666 likes this.
  15. heathclose

this one I hung on my wall...

[​IMG]

playsgames6666 and blad300 like this.
  16. andre_sprs

andre_sprs Serious Boxer

Now your making me want to give it another chance!

17. VectologyGames

VectologyGames Serious Boxer

Mad Skills Bro!

18. playsgames6666

Wow your good, love the glow effects still.

19. abdussadik

abdussadik Boxer

Great effect, can you please give some tips how did you do this glow effect?

20. abdussadik

abdussadik Boxer

This is what I could repeat your sample

[​IMG]