Level Progress Bar

Discussion in 'Buildbox 3.0' started by tributorock, Oct 31, 2018.

1. tributorock

tributorock Avid Boxer

Is it possible make a graphical level progress bar using distance, points or collectables?
    And change assets and color for this level progress bar?

itzonator likes this.
  2. AaroArts

AaroArts Miniboss Boxer

You can do it a few ways.
    One is a custom font, but it's limited to 10 increments.
    The other is using Event Observers to change UI, which displays a bigger progression bar each time.
    Finally, another way you could do this is by moving an object across the screen and time its completion with the end of a level using distance.

TheGameAppStudio and Christoph like this.
  3. tributorock

tributorock Avid Boxer

I want to do this in BB3 and not BB2. Is it possible?

4. AaroArts

AaroArts Miniboss Boxer

Oh sorry.
    Yes, I believe so. You most likely have to code it.
    However I believe this feature will be native in the next beta release.

5. itzonator

itzonator Serious Boxer

Any solution to that for BB3?
    Although this graphical level progress bar is something that can be done in UI, not in the actual 3D world. If @AaroArts claimed that this can be done with Event Observer, then it must be so for BB3 as well, since that setup for UI is the same for BB3 at this point.

@AaroArts, when using Event Observer to link a new UI, how you go about adding the level distance, with what particular event type?

Anyone knows the solution to this problem? @tributorock have you made it?

6. itzonator

itzonator Serious Boxer

Nevermind, I found a solution for level progress bar for BB3, @ZackGriset did it nicely. Thank you @ZackGriset it is right here:

7. itzonator

itzonator Serious Boxer

After further investigation, I found this Progression Bar on the video to be a custom work in BuildBox 3, therefore, this bar cannot be incorporated to other game templates as we speak due to this custom element that has been added to UI: https://prnt.sc/mkeuhp

Thoughts? @tributorock @AaroArts

Last edited: Feb 13, 2019
  8. AaroArts

AaroArts Miniboss Boxer

Yes. In BB3 it can be achieved using code.
    In BB2 it can be achieved using a custom font for scores under 10 or static images and event observers in UIs.

This has been answered in this thread and other threads in the forum. Have a search around.

9. itzonator

itzonator Serious Boxer

Yeah, I found it. I did not know .bbasset files can be added to UI. Interesting. If you add this progression.bbasset I attached to this post, that's how it will solve this problem: https://prnt.sc/mkeuhp (that's how Nik did it) in Progression template. ;-) It took me some time to figure this out, but now just small tweaks are needed like scene distance, etc.

Thanks for your reply @AaroArts

Attached Files:

10. tributorock

tributorock Avid Boxer

Itzonator. Do you know how to use Points instead distance as its showed in the vĂ­deo?

11. itzonator

itzonator Serious Boxer

@tributorock
    In progression bar bbasset, there's a SCRIPT node. I believe you have to edit that one out in order to do so in points / coins. Because I see a DISTANCE attribute that it is already set in there. You have to add points variable and to edit the code for points. Also LEVEL SELECTOR node has to be edited for points as well. I am not a coder, if you email support, they might be able to help you. @ZackGriset definitely knows how to do it.

12. tributorock

tributorock Avid Boxer

I don't know and i don't want to learn code. I bought BB because i want a codeless engine.

13. itzonator

itzonator Serious Boxer

Definitely a progress bar with coins / points will be more complex, since that's "distance" progress bar is really based in seconds or on time. So it does not calculate the actual distance. In fact, I do not even see in the latest BB3 build any distance points to be considered as a score label. So maybe in another update, Nik will add that. But you can try to post in the forum a new thread on how to build a custom progress bar with coins / points. :)

14. tributorock

tributorock Avid Boxer

I asked it before this current update but they did not add it :(

15. itzonator

itzonator Serious Boxer

This is made with only custom script node and this functionality can be provided for those who know how to code. I am not saying that Nik and BB team should not do it, but in general this has nothing to do with Buildbox and its updates. It's nice that they did progression bar for distance, the person who can do that is @ZackGriset - he knows how to code and easily can do it in a showcase video for everyone. But that's not my call :)

Moreover, I think there are plenty of people here in this forum that can help with this, especially if it's good for everyone. I think NODE REQUEST section should be added in this forum so others (coders) can contribute. Nik and Trey's team only can do much, they are limited on time and probably work load, probably that's why they are always late on BB updates, but if others get involved with scripts and nodes, Buildbox will have been more advanced. It would be of best interest for everyone who uses BB. Feel me?

16. TheGameAppStudio

TheGameAppStudio Serious Boxer

Hi,Is it possible to add dynamic level number in progress bar for bb 2.3.7 ?

17. itzonator

itzonator Serious Boxer

Yes, check the game Bitnoid on the App Store, it's been developed with BB2 and it has a progress bar on top for each level.

18. TheGameAppStudio

TheGameAppStudio Serious Boxer

Hi,i saw it before bitnoid on other games by @swiftcurrent and the progress bar could be made by setting certain score with inter-changeable UI.My question is instead of creating 100's of UI is it possible to make limited UI for example from 0-1 after 5 progress bar the level changes to 1 and so on.I need those 0 and 1 to be dynamic.Is that possible?

19. Tars Tarkas

Tars Tarkas Avid Boxer

Here how I did something like that. I don't know if it will work for your game.
    I made two score texts, one that shows the current score from that world, and the other total score from all worlds. In the tutorial I added an invisible action with 1 point. That tutorial plays only 1 time. It never appears again, ever. It can be seen in my game Enter The Color
    https://itunes.apple.com/app/id1450753813

I hope you understand, my english is not very good.

TheGameAppStudio likes this.
  20. Tars Tarkas

Tars Tarkas Avid Boxer

maybe use instead of current score total score from that world. That works for me.