Level based game better to wait for Buildbox 2.0?

Discussion in 'Level Design' started by Christoph, Nov 14, 2015.

1. Christoph

Christoph Miniboss Boxer

My game is almost completed. It's a level based game, similar to phases. We all know that Buildbox 1.x is not made for level based games but more for endless games. I have no problems with how Phases handles the structure with the infinite loop at the end. Actually, I quiet like it. But if there would be a level selector where the user can choose afterwards to play levels already mastered it would be very cool too.

My question to all boxers and especially to the Buildbox team, is, if it would be better to wait for Buildbox 2.0. I suppose if the level selector is part of it, then the memory use and other things are probably also handled much better.

But will there be a seamless transfer from a Buildbox 1.x file to version 2? Will version 2.0 be stable enough to release immediately? And in question of a release, is it better to release in January than late November, early December?

I know, a lot of different questions, but hopefully some of you can help me gather some ideas.

2. David D

David D Boxer

I am also interested in this question. I will be releasing a level game and was wondering if I should wait for BB 2.0 so I could possibly update the game with some cool features before release. This is under the assumption that BB 1.X projects will be compatible with BB 2.0 projects. Any info on this would be super helpful. Thanks

3. Simon Crack

Simon Crack Avid Boxer

I honestly wouldn't wait on what 'could be' with 2.0 - maybe importing will work well maybe not so much. Phases and a bunch of other levelled games have done perfectly well without a level select. It's a nice feature for sure but defo not make or brake.

I would push it out and then perhaps update it in the future.

Whether to release now or early next year because of the holiday competition (but extra traffic) that's defo a tough choice.

What I will say is it always good to keep pushing forward in this biz :)

4. Christoph

Christoph Miniboss Boxer

On the other hand, if it works with Buildbox 2.0 then a lot of level based games will see the light = competition with similar games. David and I could have an advantage there because our games are ready within days to be published right away with the new features. All of my friends who are testing my game thought that my game is endless because there is no indication for levels and they are used to endless games... this is a huge problem I could not change even with design elements.

5. Andy

Andy Miniboss Boxer

I 100% agree with Simon. Generally it's never good idea to be waiting on something... do it now or do something else you can move forward on immediatly.

Specifically regarding your post and Buildbox... don't expect 100% compatibility for files between 1.x and 2.x we don't even have that worked out yet. It's unlikely to be seamless for sure.

6. gnomencandle

gnomencandle Boxer

Don't wait. My game had so many hacks in it that I had to build it specifically with 1.1.1. Future releases will be a modified version that do not contain the hacks and will be released as a version 2.0. This way people who find that game first can also check out the previous version too.

Just release it! ;)