Is That A Good Idea To Build A Level Keeping It In One Scene?

Discussion in 'Level Design' started by vrdream, May 3, 2018.

1. vrdream

vrdream Boxer

Hi guys, hope you are well.

I'd like to build a game like Metal Slug and try implementing each level keeping it in one scene. After some investigation I found that the back and side deletion threshold had to been set to as the size of the level map (avoid deleting the objects so the character is able to go back).
    The problem is that the bigger the scene the bigger the need for memory, how can I balance the performance and the map size of game level?

Is that possible to implement a big platform game level with high performance?

2. AppNasty

AppNasty Miniboss Boxer

If you want the player to be able to run all the way to end and even be able to turn around and run back, then you will have memory issue. DEPENDING on how many objects in game. If you want player to just run forward....but not go all the way back to previous scenes, use the "Show Game Frame" button at top right and make sure the bar on the left of screen is yellow so they cannot go backwards. Then set deletion threshold to like 300 or 600. SO the scenes delete as they go. USE SCENES for each new section. Dont put them all in one scene. Go to EDIT then click align scenes. This way the player comes across the scenes in order. And you can now take advantage of deletion threshold cleaning up memory. IF you must make all the level in 1 scene, set deletion threshold to 99999999 for both. BUT, make sure you arent using a billion objects. Make sure your ground image is one big image and not 50 tiny blocks that makeup the ground. Also try using Tools/Convert To Global Clones on objects. MAKE A BACKUP FIRST! Once you use that option there is no going back. So save your game again as GAMEBackup or something, then try it.

César Vega likes this.
  3. vrdream

vrdream Boxer

Thanks for your detailed explanation and advice. Great experience!

Yes, I prefer to make the level in one scene. So I am using "Tiled"-the tile map editor to create a fixed Decorate image in PNG format. And the image will be sliced into several small image to meet the limitation of BB image size(2040x2040).

4. Jay

Jay Boxer

There's nothing inherintly wrong with doing this. I just finished making a game in BB3D where there was 1 endless level. But I used quite a bit of JavaScript to handle the destruction of objects that are no longer in view, and the re-creation of them when the player goes back to where they were. So as long as you're destroying objects when they're no longer needed (and keeping a list in-case you need to render them again), there's no issue, unless you're doing really insane stuff.

César Vega likes this.