Is Saga Word Good For Use In Game Name? Considering Already A Huge Game Has It.?

Discussion in 'Buildbox General Discussion' started by Jaky1, Dec 7, 2016.

1. Jaky1

Jaky1 Serious Boxer

Hey guys, I wanted to use the Word Saga in my game name, like ZZZ Saga. Its sound so cool and quality.

Only thing is considering that Candy Crush a Huge game has the word SAGA in it so would it be good for me to use it or bad?

I mean one thing comes into my mind, if people search for Candy crush Saga or something else with saga maybe my game would also show up as it has Saga in it. Giving my game a plus one here.

What do you guys think. Need opinions. Thanks all!

2. wesam_badr

wesam_badr Miniboss Boxer

i think you can use i see a lot of games do that is just its a competitive word dont expect your games to show the first in searches

Jaky1 likes this.
  3. Jaky1

Jaky1 Serious Boxer

@wesam_badr so what do you suggest. I should or shouldn't?

4. Christoph

Christoph Miniboss Boxer

Didn't you just ask this in another thread?

A saga has nothing to do with being a series of something. It means it is a LONG story. Extensive. So it does make sense if you have 1000 levels like Candy Crush. What makes your game a saga? If it is a short endless game then people will download it and give you very bad reviews. Use only what really matches your game. Don't lie saying it is something that it isn't.

Mahes KC, Nihat and blad300 like this.
  5. spicedbeangames

spicedbeangames Miniboss Boxer

The word 'Saga' is Trademarked by King - therefore you can't use it. If you do, King will get their IP team onto Google/Apple to demand it be renamed.

6. Nihat

Nihat Serious Boxer

Yes, he did Christoph.

And i would like to copy and paste the same answer that i wrote in your "Would People Like It Or Hate It? Different Types Of Character In One Game?"

Try to use such words that are not commonly used. For instance, if your games name will be XXX Saga then King's games (Candy Crush Saga, Candy Crush Soda Saga, Candy Crush Jelly Saga and etc) will be ranked first.
    Check this sources:
    http://www.creativebloq.com/apps/tips-naming-app-9112818
    http://www.apptamin.com/blog/app-store-optimization-aso-app-name-and-keywords/

Christoph likes this.
  7. Christoph

Christoph Miniboss Boxer

That's not true. They trademarked the word candy. And even this is in dispute. You can't actually trademark a word. But you can a concept... so if you do a 3 match game with candies and candy in the title you will have a problem. But there is no problem using candy in the title like Candy Jump and have candies jumping over other candies.

Mahes KC likes this.
  8. spicedbeangames

Trademark check
    Direct link to King trademark
    tm_work: SAGA
    CTM 10452911
    US 4762628
    IR 1125479 (Belarus, Colombia, Egypt, Israel, Morocco, New Zealand, Russian
    Federation, Singapore, Ukraine, Viet Nam)
    Chile 1108584
    Malaysia 2012053655
    Mexico 1450108
    China 1691748

9. Christoph

Christoph Miniboss Boxer

Thanks. I stand corrected. Looking at the appstore all their games use the word saga now... lol But there still are others that use the word as well. So it basically is the same as the word candy. And yes, don't use it. If your game has success you don't wanna spend all your money fighting King's lawyers. :)

10. spicedbeangames

I think Candy was being disputed by Storm 8 or something and could be cancelled soon if they win. It has been going on for almost a year now too.

King registered a ton of names images (including Delicious) and much more.

11. JoeWilson

JoeWilson Avid Boxer

Sometimes these bigger studios will even try to get you change or remove your game even if they DONT have a trademark.

This happened to me with Rockstar and Take-two interactive with two of my games AND they don't even have a trademark on the name.

I have a couple of older games that have the phrase "Grand Theft" in the name. For example: Grand Theft Police Chase and Grand Theft Dual Getaway are two of my games. One was made with Project Mayhem and the other with GameSalad.

Take-two convinced Apple and Google to remove one of my games, even though I disputed it and continue to dispute it today. They are trying to get me to take down or rename my other game and I simply refuse. The games don't make me any money but still it is the principle of the matter.

From Apple:

"On 11/18/2016, we received a notice from Take-Two Interactive (IPLasso) ("Complainant") that Complainant believes the app listed below infringes its intellectual property rights. In particular, Complainant believes you are infringing its trademark. Please see their comments below.

Developer: Top Cool Fun Games, LLC.
    Provider: Top Cool Fun Games, LLC.
    App Title: Grand Theft Dual Getaway - 2 Cars Escape
    Apple ID: 951485360"

I looked up the word in the US trademark and patent database and they don't own the trademark, someone else does.

Word Mark GRAND THEFT
    Goods and Services
    (ABANDONED) IC 041. US 107. G & S: THE NAME AND LOGO FOR A DANCE BAND. FIRST USE: 19790505. FIRST USE IN COMMERCE: 19790505
    Mark Drawing Code (3) DESIGN PLUS WORDS, LETTERS, AND/OR NUMBERS
    Design Search Code 02.11.07 - Arms; Fingers; Hands; Human hands, fingers, arms
    07.05.25 - Closets; Gymnasiums (interior); Hallways; Storage closets
    07.11.25 - Docks; Grates, street; Guard rails, road; Manhole covers; Meters, parking; Parking meters; Piers; Water pumps (manual), outdoor
    14.11.09 - Ball and Chain (restraints); Handcuffs; Leg irons; Manacles; Restraints (ball and chain, handcuffs, leg irons, manacles)
    Serial Number 73367510
    Filing Date March 28, 1983
    Current Basis 1A
    Original Filing Basis 1A
    Owner (APPLICANT) PAPA, JIMMY R. DBA, GRAND THEFT INDIVIDUAL TEXAS 1628 CANYON OAK IRVING TEXAS 75061
    Attorney of Record SUE LYKES
    Type of Mark SERVICE MARK
    Register PRINCIPAL
    Live/Dead Indicator DEAD
    Abandonment Date January 9, 1984

They have trademarks on the words "Grand Theft Auto" and "GTA" and thats it. The trademark for "Grand Theft" is owned by another party.

Right now I'm waiting to see what they say.

Christoph likes this.
  12. Christoph

Christoph Miniboss Boxer

People suck when they are making a lot of money. Most of the time. This is just bullshit and it's sad to see those companies doing stuff like that.

Jaky1 and JoeWilson like this.
  13. Astro Games

Astro Games Avid Boxer

Registering common words is a bit too far I think :confused:

14. Jaky1

Jaky1 Serious Boxer

@Christoph @Nihat Yes I did asked in another thread but I wanted everyones opinion, which I got.

@JoeWilson @spicedbeangames @Christoph -- IKR that is just pure bullshit. What now KING holds the right to the dictionary and who can use a word or not? And why is it even allowed to Trademark, it just doesn't make sense.

I guess I should use another SIMILAR word. I am looking for a word that will give the image of variety and Such Fun. I have game modes in it.