Indie startups: You Don't Stand a Chance

Discussion in 'Gameplay' started by Collin Wade Thiessen, Oct 14, 2015.

1. Collin Wade Thiessen

Collin Wade Thiessen Avid Boxer

Best video I have watched in a long time. Watch the whole thing or you won't get the point of the video. Straight talk "We all SUCK!, I'm on mount stupid" lol but don't stop, take small steps, be better. Keep pushing everyone!

2. alain_grignon

alain_grignon Boxer

Great video! Reality checks help separate those who love it because they love it, and those who love the idea of it! All of us want to succeed, those of us who are still around in 3 years will, those who are truly passionate about it will, but I agree that it's a long road. For me, every part of making games is more interesting and fun than actually playing it, and I have many of the talents that can get me to success, but I know I'll never perfect them all, so I'm making small games I think will sell, I test new ideas I think will make my games different (the zag factor) but most of all I don't failure personal, I use it as a stepping stone, I learn and move ahead. I think the biggest challenge for someone like me is time, it's the greatest hurdle, but I know I can overcome it, just got to keep at it and eventually, some money will come in.

He talks about vision, I definitely have a vision, even beyond creating a successful game business because I know that eventually mobile gaming will not work, it will be something else. But small steps right? I need small successes, for now it's about breaking even, I'm still in the red on this venture and have to make it over the line, then things will get interesting.

Cheers to everyone else on mount stupid, as we start to slide down the other side, might as well do it smiling! :)

Alain Grignon
    zHeroez Founder

Collin Wade Thiessen and Jamie like this.
  3. Jamie

Jamie Avid Boxer

I don't think mobile gaming will just go away, ever. Whatever the future holds for phones and portables, there is a demand to play a game on a device in the palm of your hand. When I am ready to play an easy-to-learn-impossible-to-master game for 10 minutes on my commute on a train or bus or whatever, I am not going to be eager to whip out a virtual reality headset right then and there. I will be looking for a mobile game, as will so many other people in the world. So I am definitely not worried about the mobile game market disappearing. It seems like many are worried about floods of games on this market. Yes, the best solution really is to make games that don't suck, and to polish them a bit, and get the polished game in front of those looking for polished games... That's something the speaker in the video did not really push too much, but the video is useful, as Alain says, for getting a grip on the realities of dedication to doing this.

Collin Wade Thiessen likes this.
  4. Perry

Perry Avid Boxer

Hahahaha.... "Everyone in our industry is somehow incompetent."

This is a really good talk. He is brutally honest, but it needs to be heard.

Collin Wade Thiessen likes this.