In-App Purchase Character Choice

Discussion in 'In App Purchases' started by pjpavlovich, Nov 7, 2015.

1. pjpavlovich

pjpavlovich Boxer

Hello - I am trying to do inapp purchase for charactor upgrades. However, when I choose a character, nothing happens. Is there a distinct set of directions in which I need to follow to get this set? I established the characters purchase Store ID - and then registered it in Itunes Connect. Can anyone help me what I am missing?

2. ajcoryat

ajcoryat Avid Boxer

If you are using coins to collect in your game, here is the method I used and got approval for at Apple:
    Basically I tricked the system into believing that it was buying a character, when in-fact it was buying 5,000 coins. Seeing that you don't activate the new character until the GameOver screen, where you see the character price and coins available. Slide, choose, done.
    So the bundle ID was: com.companyname.gamename.charactername (Non-Consumable)
    But the delivery was actually: 5,000 coins in the GameOver screen
    Here are the steps I took...
    1. On stage build/edit screen, drag n drop any .png item and add as an Action Button. Name it "Unlock Character", Action type: "Coin", Reward Coins: "5,000". Then delete image from editor screen as you don't need it anymore.
    2. Navigate to Shop on BB and install background, back button, Remove ads button and place Character Image as a "Purchase" button.
    Link it to your action button you created in step one (1). Choose "Buy and Use" and name your Bundle ID.
    3. Set up iAP in iTunes as "Non-Consumable" Bundle ID was: com.companyname.gamename.charactername
    4. In your "game over" screen using a Label for total coins on the game, this is where you will see the coins appear after you "Purchase" your character from the shop. When you swipe/slide your character selector, their price appears under the character to be bought. You should have enough coins to buy/choose the character with those available coins.
    5. Test on device. Buy character in shop, use coins to pay for character in GameOver. Uninstall game from device. Reinstall and test "Restore Button" Voila!!!

Last edited: Nov 8, 2015
    tomwhite3d and ruhm64 like this.
  3. darren

darren Avid Boxer

is this why Apple was holding up your app approval earlier? I'm a little confused why you don't just sell the character as a character instead of coins? Are their bugs with IAP of characters? I was planning on offering multiple characters via "coins" and one character with real money IAP (with BB1.3.5)

4. ajcoryat

ajcoryat Avid Boxer

@darren: Because I had coin currency set up in the game so that you can play your heart out and buy a character, or for the impatient buy the ability to buy enough coins to choose a character. I haven't tried just an iAP character purchase alone. I'll do that for a game without coins. I have not tried a character iAP and Coin currency in the same game.

5. eyal

eyal Serious Boxer

Hi @ajcoryat can u please explain why u made it non consumable because in that case the use will always have for 5000 coins that they bought over and over

6. ajcoryat

ajcoryat Avid Boxer

@eyal In my case this was a work-around to solve an objection from Apple concerning "Restore". Consumable iAPs don't get restored. I only had 2 extra characters. My iAPs at Apple were set as com.companyname.gamename.redcharacter and com.companyname.gamename.greencharacter. So as far as Apple was concerned I had restorable iAPs. But in fact, the iAP links in the game gave the same reward of 5,000 coins (the price of buying the character on the game-over screen). So problem solved.

7. eyal

eyal Serious Boxer

@ajcoryat but when they restore then they get 5000 icons again and again. Or in other words, a user will use the coins and then something will happen and he will have the opportunity to get what he bought again, then it's never ending. Coins are always consumable

8. ajcoryat

ajcoryat Avid Boxer

@eyal That's a non issue for me as I only had 2 additional characters. As far as I'm concerned, if the user bought once, I made money. If he deletes the app and reinstalls and restores. Sure, he might be able to get another character. Big deal. I got his $1.99 already. Chances are they aren't coming back anyway. If I had 20 characters in my game... well maybe the user might use the same method a couple times, but it's a hassle. Shelf life on these games is short. You only have maybe one shot at an iAP sale then they are over it. On to the next flavor of the week. So, don't sweat the small stuff. Your job is to try and get a decent review from as many users to help drive further downloads from new users who, maybe one in 10 or 100, may purchase an iAP. Can you see this point?

9. eyal

eyal Serious Boxer

I get what you say @ajcoryat but I'm not talking about buying but using with coins. so with 20 images for example this is what needs to be done

10. ajcoryat

ajcoryat Avid Boxer

@eyal I know that the traditional way to set iAPs for coins is "Consumable" So by all means set up your Coin Shop page with 1000, 5000 and 10000 or what ever you figure you need to charge and set each iAP ID as com.companyname.gamename.1000(5000, 10000) etc and in iTunes Connect set it as Consumable. Fingers crossed. Hope for the best. My consumable workaround was only because that day the Apple Reviewer decided to give me hell for the Consumable iAPs. That was my fix. Use it only as a fall-back position if they give you crap to hold and reject your app. Maybe I should have argued with them that only non-consumables are restored. But try plan A before trying my plan B. :)