Hrn Games & Team Dare Present: Dare The Monkey

Discussion in 'Game Showcase' started by HRN Games, Dec 18, 2017.

1. HRN Games

HRN Games Boxer

Hello Buildbox Forum!

Dave here from HRN Games, a new games publishing company based in the UK.
    I am proud to present our first published mobile game, Dare The Monkey, from the very talented Team Dare.

A classic arcade throw back meets modern one-touch gameplay and design!

There's plenty i could say about the game, but it would be better for you to check out for yourself! :) Currently available on iOS devices and coming soon to Android. Play it now on iPhone (full iPhone X support), iPad, Apple Watch and Apple TV!

Please use this download link, the search at the moment is a bit hit and miss:
    http://apple.co/2B0MS9k

And yes, it was made with Buildbox!

2. andre_sprs

andre_sprs Serious Boxer

Downloading now!! :)

HRN Games likes this.
  3. swiftcurrent

swiftcurrent Avid Boxer

Looks GREAT! Congrats

HRN Games likes this.
  4. AndyG

AndyG Miniboss Boxer

haha that looks excellent. great work guys. off to download and play :)

HRN Games likes this.
  5. adrogdesigns

adrogdesigns Avid Boxer

only for IOS 11 ?
    Why?
    Just curious on your reason..

6. HRN Games

HRN Games Boxer

Thanks a lot guys, do let us know what you think!

7. HRN Games

HRN Games Boxer

I will see if Team Dare can answer that for you.

adrogdesigns likes this.
  8. DariusGuerrero

DariusGuerrero Avid Boxer

Maybe iOS 11 only because Apple likes it when there's exclusivity and the app uses new features? Wild guess haha . But this has everything in it that'd get it featured. Connections from visiting expos. Graphics. Simplicity. iOS 11 support.

I remember this project from way back early 2016. Really impressed. It was one of the games that eventually got me to subscribe to Buildbox a little ways down the road. The guy had a devlog and I think I remember my jaw falling to the floor when he got this game working on the Apple Watch! Also memorable for me was his 5-year old son helping by drawing the character I think. I'll check the blog again. Was worried this project wouldn't be continued and here it is today!

EDIT: Here's the blog. We'll learn a lot from it. http://www.darethemonkey.com/

Last edited: Dec 19, 2017
    HRN Games likes this.
  9. HRN Games

HRN Games Boxer

Funnily enough, thats a similar story to mine. I was actually wanting to make a game myself with Buildbox, so took to the Showcase for inspiration and came across their blog. I was very impressed with the process and of course, the game itself. I knew i was always going to publish my own game myself, but hadn't thought about publishing games for somebody else until i came across Dare. Luckily for me i convinced them to let me publish it as my first game!

10. sebb121

sebb121 Boxer

Impressive!! Downloading now :)

11. HRN Games

HRN Games Boxer

Ok, here's what they say:

'Two main reasons:
    1. We wanted users to be able to rate the app and write a review without having to leave the app to do so
    2. We wanted a bit more control over the handling of the home screen indicator bar used on iPhone X
    We needed to target iOS 11 to cover both these points.'

adrogdesigns likes this.
  12. AndyG

AndyG Miniboss Boxer

Wow never knew that about #1. Getting at least ratings if not reviews without leaving the game is BIG. The downside is of course lost revenue from users still on previous versions. Whats the uptake now 70%?

adrogdesigns likes this.
  13. ZackGriset

ZackGriset Avid Boxer

Yes! That's what I remember too! I saw that it worked for Apple Watch and was blown away back in 2016. I'm glad you reminded me about this. I'm glad to see it's finally being released. I hope this game does well. :)

DariusGuerrero and HRN Games like this.
  14. adrogdesigns

adrogdesigns Avid Boxer

OK, thanks.
    Nice game...

HRN Games likes this.
  15. AndyG

AndyG Miniboss Boxer

Having played it they've nailed it. Excellent and great platformer Dare have put together. 2 thumbs up and 10/10 :D

ZackGriset and HRN Games like this.
  16. Andy

Andy Miniboss Boxer

Really good job guys. ;-)

HRN Games likes this.
  17. HRN Games

HRN Games Boxer

As of December 4th it was 59%, that number will obviously grow, but we are looking at our options to supported some older OS versions.
    Dont know if anyone here has played it on an iPhone X but it looks really good. And they have managed to blend that home indicator bar in to the background a lot better where as in other games its a solid colour and kind of distracting. But its a case of whether its worth losing out on a good 20-30% of potential users for that.

As for the reviews feature, i actually played Dune by Voodoo last night, that supported down to iOS 8 and that let me rate the app and write a review within it, although i didn't press submit, so can't be sure if that would've took me to the App Store?

18. AndyG

AndyG Miniboss Boxer

ok right Dune is targeted at iOS8 and ratings are a simple tap interface within the game and reviews overlay. Not thrown out of the game at all. OK so not sure then what benefit only targeting iOS11 gives other than #2 on that list and is that small minor issue really worth losing out on 40% of the user base? Rebuild and update for iOS8 methinks!

adrogdesigns likes this.
  19. HRN Games

HRN Games Boxer

Well according to Apple, anything below iOS 10 only makes up 8% and the rest are iOS 10 and 11. So it does make sense to target iOS 10 at least. Thanks for the help!

AndyG likes this.
  20. Andy

Andy Miniboss Boxer

You can build with iOS 11 as your base SDK and support down to iOS 8 as the min SDK. This is the default settings for BB now and it should work fine on iPhones that support the new review features. But yes, it's hardly worth worrying too much about supporting iOS 8/9 to start, it's minimal impact. Might be worth the effort once your game is a success though. :)

AndyG, HRN Games and adrogdesigns like this.