How important is having background music?

Discussion in 'Gameplay' started by vietzero, Jun 26, 2016.

1. vietzero

vietzero Boxer

Just as the title says. How important is it for a game to have background music for it to be addicting? There are two games that come to mind when I think about success and they are Flappy Bird and Color Switch. If I recall correctly, Flappy Bird did not have any BG music, whereas Color Switch does.

Thoughts?

2. INKY

INKY Avid Boxer

Lol. Exactly two opposites...and both stellar apps. I don't think background music has much to do with Color Switches success..and being addictive. Game play does that. I personally like background music but some games I turn it off and leave only the sound FX...

However...I particularly like two games that have background music and probably would think we're pretty bland otherwise if not for it...Hexavoid and Geometry Dash. Geometry Dash seems to have done an excellent job at making the necessary jumps coinside with the beat of the music. Hexavoid just has a good groove to it and when I played it without the music I didn't find it as fun. IMO. So overall "I" feel background music is important to have in a game....but it's got to sound like it matches the style of game.

croomraider and Christoph like this.
  3. Andy

Andy Miniboss Boxer

Don't add BGM just for the sake of adding it. You would need to determine if it helps make the game better, more fun, etc...

Pretty much this applies across the board... never do anything just for the sake of doing it... always have a reason.

Nihat, INKY and Christoph like this.
  4. Christoph

Christoph Miniboss Boxer

I agree with INKY and Andy. Also, Background music is for elevators. If the music is only for the background, then better don't use it. If your music completes the game and/or the ambient then go for it.

In fact, it is similar to movies. Sometimes a scene without music can be much more powerful than with. It all depends what you want to express and how you want the player to feel like.

5. croomraider

croomraider Boxer

I feel like all games should have music and really creative music that fits it's needs. I'm bias though, and compose music for a living.

Also, speaking from NES games in the 80's / 90's.. That's what added to the addiction, badazs soundtracks that push the storyline.

With all that said, some people prefer no music when they game. I still think it serves better as at least a menu preference and user can cut-off if need be.

6. heathclose

heathclose Miniboss Boxer

Cave Jumpers

7. Ged

Ged Boxer

I think BGM is something that can make a game better IF the track is good. Sometimes the song can even become legendary and something everyone remembers and loves: Super Mario, Angry Birds, Legend of Zelda.... list goes on.

But indeed if you don't have a good track ready, no use just slapping something in. People will just mute it :D

8. JoeWilson

JoeWilson Avid Boxer

You could also say the same thing about background images. You don't have to have them either. However, if it adds depth to your environment that absolutely add it. Games are exactly like movies. They are worlds and environments that are built to pull your viewers in and entertain your viewers. Your background music could simply be birds chirping.. this isn't music but it is background sound used to complete or add to the realism.

Adding sound effects and music can be the most critical and time consuming parts of your game. Finding the right sounds can be difficult. Choosing the right sound can make a huge difference.

9. Nihat

Nihat Serious Boxer

I think that it depends on game.