Going to the beginning of the level?

Discussion in 'Gameplay' started by mykodagames, Oct 17, 2015.

1. kodagames

kodagames Avid Boxer

Hello All,

So in my current project, my character walk through the level to the end. How would I make it so that the character can go back to the start of the level (the beginning)?

So whats happening is if the character does go backwards (to the left) to get back to the beginning, the scene of objects will be blank? Im trying to make a platform style game where if the player doesn't collect something he's gotta go back and get it.

Anyone know how to do this?
    Thanks in advance.

2. AndyG

AndyG Miniboss Boxer

sounds like you need to utilise Checkpoints.

3. Jamie

Jamie Avid Boxer

Like @AndyG says, see the set checkpoint, next checkpoint, and restart from checkpoint actions

4. Jamie

Jamie Avid Boxer

I am not sure about the problem of "blank screens" behind, like you mentioned. You may need to be strategic in (1) the extent to which you allow players to travel backwards in a game and (2) where you put your checkpoints in relation to the stuff in #1.

5. kodagames

kodagames Avid Boxer

Thanks for the insights :)
    Checkpoints don't really give the feeling of traveling back for a key or clue that may have been missed but it seems like that may be the only way to go and I guess its not a big deal i'll just change the style of gameplay. Again thank you very much!

Jamie likes this.
  6. Jamie

Jamie Avid Boxer

@mykodagames Maybe instead of randomizing scenes, you should just align (not stack) all of your scenes so that they are to be played in order, and some scenes from the past contain clues for the future.

7. steve

steve Avid Boxer

@mykodagames In the advanced Settings you can set "Back Del Threshold" and "Sides Del Threshold". These values are used to tell BB how much of the scene that has scrolled off the screen to remember. The higher the value the more it'll remember, but it will use up more memory to do so. As long as your scenes aren't too long it should stop it being blank when you go back.

8. Rebel Studios

Rebel Studios Avid Boxer

The max the game can pan forward or backwards or even up & down is 9000 pixels.... So if you want to go back like an adventure game without having a blank screen... just set back & sides del threshold to 9000... :)

Jamie likes this.
  9. kodagames

kodagames Avid Boxer

AWESOME! Thank you very much! I'll use the back del and checkpoints for going to the next level :)
    (Now I can have walls on both sides :))

10. kodagames

kodagames Avid Boxer

Arr... lol for some reason the del threshold still doesn't work I've been changing the setting 300, 500, 9000. I've changed each individually independent of one another and both together and still no backup results. So Ive gotta be missing something? Game direction is set to zero because Im using the default platformer and I must be missing, if anyone has any other suggestions Id love to hear them.

11. Rebel Studios

Rebel Studios Avid Boxer

your game frame has to be set small and in the middle :) then and only then you can see the effects of it

12. kodagames

kodagames Avid Boxer

Thanks Rebel works like a charm. You guys (gals if any) are awesome! Thank you.