Gameplay Action in isomethric gamestyle

Discussion in 'Technical Discussion' started by theoleguina, Oct 5, 2015.

1. theoleguina

theoleguina Boxer

Hi everyone,

I've been working on a new game concept lately. Inspired by ZigZag and Ball Jump, I'm trying to make a isomethric type gameplay. But I can't get these Gameplay Actions to work properly. I'm attaching two videos in a link so you guys can watch it for youselves. The first problem occurs after changing game direction the first time. For some reason the character won't jump properly after it changes game direction. I've inverted all the game direction settings (game direction, gravity in x and y) in the Gameplay Action, but something doesn't work like it should. The second issue is as you can see, at the end of the platforms after changing direction once. It's like the character is stuck to the edges of the graphics itself, and not the collision shape. Note: the collision shapes of the platforms is half of the top side area, in a parallelogram (see attached picture).

Any ideas on how I can solve this?

Link: https://www.dropbox.com/s/gijvdpiy0ec11os/Stuff.zip?dl=0

Thanks,
    Marius Paulsen
    Creatrix

2. Machine Rises

Machine Rises Serious Boxer

@theoleguina I would try a few things. First of all maybe resave your game and adjust settings for the direction and any other settings until the ball moves the way you would like. Once you know those exact settings then use those for the game action in the regular file. Could also be an issue with friction settings so perhaps adjust those settings or any air drag settings. Do you have the cubes set to decoration? Be sure the platform is the only thing colliding with the ball. What about your game frame settings? Check to make sure your game frame is set to "pass." If your ball hits it it can cause limited movement when it is against it. It's like an invisible wall.

3. stevinz

stevinz Avid Boxer

@theoleguina I've experienced a similar problem with isometric games before. In my case I found there was an issue (a bug perhaps?) with the bounce settings for the character when dealing with non symmetrical collision boxes. Check that both Bounce Force X and Bounce Force Y are set to 0. See if that helps.

And if its working on the first run up to the right you may have bounce force set to zero initially, but then when you apply the gameplay action to move the ball back to the left you may be accidentally changing values to the bounce force to nonzero values.

4. yenomeerf

yenomeerf Boxer

Correct me if I am wrong. But I believe the Game play action won't change the attributes for the character currently. And this is needed for each turn made by the character to achieve the ZigZag style.

Last edited: Oct 11, 2015