Game Was Stolen! Here Is A Twitter Thread With Proof! Pls Spread Awareness Against Reskinners

Discussion in 'Buildbox General Discussion' started by DariusGuerrero, Sep 2, 2019.

1. DariusGuerrero

DariusGuerrero Avid Boxer

https://twitter.com/dariusguerrero/status/1168507408101994497

This Twitter thread includes some (not all) the evidence that the fraud thief of a developer extracted the source code of the original game, illegally stole assets, and tried to claim the reskinned game is okay and is his. The thread also also includes communications with the thief (where he agreed to take it down in 48 hours) and then the thief changing his mind in the end and keeping it on. We gave all the chances...

If you love indie games, please retweet this thread. Spread awareness. Support creators.

You can also report the fake game and the thief as a copycat/impersonator/reskin/spam game on the app stores.

THIS IS A WARNING AGAINST RESKINNERS.

Fake devs need to know what happens when you reskin another indie dev's game.

Maria, volcank and itzonator like this.
  2. itzonator

itzonator Serious Boxer

This happens to successful people only :p

Maria likes this.
  3. DariusGuerrero

well i dont think that's true lol

Maria, volcank and itzonator like this.
  4. volcank

volcank Serious Boxer

I already did! I wish the best for your fight against it! Was it on iOS or Android or like PC platform. I wonder if you had used encryption? Or I wonder how secure it is to use encryption. For iOS and Android I think you can write to them and make them take the game down. If you prove that your game is yours which you will do for sure they sure will take it down. I did it both for iOS and Android before and it worked. That was for the fidget spinner craze but the moment I got them down another 9 fidget spinner apps were reborn out of nowhere lol! But that was my bad and ignorance hadn't used encryption cause didn't know this was gonna explode like that!

DariusGuerrero likes this.
  5. itzonator

itzonator Serious Boxer

@volcank - I saw this encryption option is Buildbox settings, what it actually does when you do so (the checkmark)? Before you submit your binary for review, there's a special option for encryption if used or not.

6. SpoonCrysis

SpoonCrysis Avid Boxer

Hi I had an issue with some people reskinning some work that was being worked on for years, one of the developers in the team decided to sell off copies and then there were reskins on iOS, I communicated with Apple Legal and won all the reskins were taken down, as long as you can prove you own the content Apple legal will help you.

DariusGuerrero likes this.
  7. Maria

Maria Boxer

@DariusGuerrero Saklap naman pre. I assumed you already report it to Apple and Google. I suggest you should trademark the name of your game as well so you can have the right to take down similar name particularly in Google Play Store (just in case someone will use the same name). Chances are high in your favour to win all legal battles, good luck!

8. DariusGuerrero

thank you for that pre. we also own copyright from the moment of creation. this is the same in most parts of the world including Philippine law. I'm glad this has been resolved

Maria likes this.
  9. DariusGuerrero

Everyone, thank you for your help. I'm happy to report that a few hours after the twitter thread the copycat reskinned games and its social media pages have been taken down.

https://twitter.com/dariusguerrero/status/1168819747271536643

[​IMG]
    Again, this should serve as warning against anyone wanting to reskin games. Think twice. We could do so much more.

Maria and itzonator like this.