Game Localization - Is it possible with buildbox?

Discussion in 'Buildbox General Discussion' started by sysads, Jan 10, 2016.

1. sysads

sysads Serious Boxer

I was wondering if buildbox v2 will support localization as it appears to me its one of those added ingredients you need to get a chance for Apple to feature your game or even get wider game coverage.

For those that have implemented localization on their game, please can you share how you did it.

Thanks

Jamie likes this.
  2. Jamie

Jamie Avid Boxer

I wrote a thread about this a while back. I also emailed support about this topic. They said that the priority now is to make great games, and localization will come later, if at all. But they added that they have been progressively expanding the types of letter/characters you can add in text boxes for when adding text to games, which I can appreciate.
    At some point, I will being making games with stories, and when I do, I will include text the way @Collin Wade Thiessen included textual narrativity in Darthy.
    However, for my games that have stories, I will also get translations through a service online. Then I will create them as vector graphics, and bring them into Buildbox as PNG files (as if they are just placements of a decoration or image). Then, I will make a version that will release in English, but only in countries whose dominant language is English. Then, I will make a Japanese-specific version that has a translated title in Japanese, as well as the translated narrativity of the game, and will release it only in Japan. Then, for Chinese, Spanish, German, French ... and so on. So, for a game that has a story, I will treat it like the way movies like Star Wars are treated: Release the English version ONLY in countries where English is the dominant language, and release the other language versions ONLY where those languages are spoken. It means that I will be utilizing the feature in the App Store that lets you limit a game's release to a specific country (checking only the box of the country the particular game version should release to). I will also make sure that I get the game description (and maybe keywords) translated for the corresponding international store. To help me understand what language is most suited for what country, I will use SensorTower (just looking without even logging in) to see how Hipster Whale (for Crossy Road) implemented its translations to which app stores, judging by the translated app descriptions they used.
    That's my plan for story games that require narrative. I hope it works for others too. I have yet to try this, but it will be a good experiment... Without trying this yet, I do think my plan is better than just putting an English version out there to all international stores.