Feature Request: Increase Max Collision Points In A Shape To 16

Discussion in 'Buildbox General Discussion' started by rvendler, Feb 17, 2018.

1. rvendler

rvendler Boxer

Hi all,

Longtime game developer, but new to Buildbox - enjoying it so far! :) Not sure if there is an official channel for feature requests (if there is, just let me know), so for now I'll try here:

Request: Increase max collision points in a shape to 16

Currently, you can use a max of 8 points to create a collision shape. This can be too few to represent certain convex rounded shapes well, e.g. an egg-like shape where you want the collision shape accurate to allow the egg to roll convincingly.

Current workarounds, like using a simpler collision shape or linking multiple objects together in a way that approximates the smooth shape desired, are not good solutions compared to simply upping the point count.

Thanks,
    Rune

AndyG and AppNasty like this.
  2. AppNasty

AppNasty Miniboss Boxer

Would be nice. Ive hacked BB before and used up to 100 points. Would love to see it official.

3. AndyG

AndyG Miniboss Boxer

Yes there is in the Buildbox Customers section.
    Feature Request (Customers Only)

4. Christoph

Christoph Miniboss Boxer

The more collision points you have the worse it affects memory and all around performance. Correct me if I'm wrong, but this would probably not be possible in Buildbox and affect it negatively too much. Or does this apply only when there are lights and shadows?

5. AndyG

AndyG Miniboss Boxer

Heading into BB3 and a few years down the line from when BB1 was released we have more powerful devices so perhaps a small increase in Collision Points would be possible?

6. AppNasty

AppNasty Miniboss Boxer

I hacked it back when BB was 2.0.0. Now i didn't use it with a full on game loaded with scenes etc but it seemed to work normal.

7. rvendler

rvendler Boxer

Ah, OK. Do you know how I get access to that section? (I'm a paying customer.) Thanks!

8. rvendler

rvendler Boxer

The memory and performance impact from doing this on a small number of objects is most likely minimal. I think this is a case where the the user can be given some freedom to make the tradeoff that's right for their game. :)