Buying A Mac Mini!

Discussion in 'Buildbox General Discussion' started by volcank, Dec 9, 2016.

1. volcank

volcank Serious Boxer

Hi,
    Planning to buy a mac mini and wondering if it could be capable of running buildbox smoothly. Does anyone use mac mini with buildbox? thank you!

Volkan

2. oni3350

oni3350 Boxer

Hey, I don't have a mini mac, I'm running windows.

But I thought I'd just say, incase one of the mayjor reasons why your buying a mini mac is to compile with Xcode... I'm using a service called Mac In Cloud and was able to publish my first app that way.

It's pay as you go, like $1 and hour or a monthly subscription if you use it more. But pay as you go is all I need for just compiling and uploading apps to iTunes connect.

Alienone and volcank like this.
  3. trudnai

trudnai Miniboss Boxer

Hey Volkan,
    You should be just fine with that. I would suggest btw to go for bigger RAM and do not worry too much about CPU or Graphics card, but if you can select Fusion Drive or SSD is the best. Normal hard drive is like a car, a Fusion Drive is like an airplane and SSD is like a rocket -- and yes, you would notice the difference quite a bit...

volcank likes this.
  4. Jaky1

Jaky1 Serious Boxer

Hey, if you are buying a MAC for iOS publishing, then you don't need to, there are many ways by which you can compile and publish iOS apps using WINDOWS, one of them is what Oni3350 suggested.

I myself use windows and have no problem for compiling for iOS .

volcank likes this.
  5. sysads

sysads Serious Boxer

Well for ease of use, I also tried th cloud thing and my internet messed me up as it too slow to work with so I ended up buying a mini mac from ebay. As @trudnai suggested, focus on more RAM rather than CPU and ensure (I must emphasis on this - it must be an SSD drive). For me, this is my spec and it does the job well even though I remote to it from my windows machine since I prefer using windows and only copy my finished work to mac for itunes publish.

Mine came with 2 SSDs but you can get away with 1.

upload_2016-12-10_8-38-16.png

volcank likes this.
  6. volcank

volcank Serious Boxer

Hi everyone,

Thank you so much for all the input and advices. Ok I will go with it then for now! Btw I already use my macbook pro for using Buildbox but needed another mac so I will try to go with higher rams and SSD disk I guess in here we call it fusion disk. Also I have installed a Samsun SSD disk in my macbook pro and yes it is flying and anybody is interested I can give you the name of the product since it is compatible with Macbook Pros.

Once Again Thank you so much for all your support and help.

Have a Great Weekend!

Christoph and trudnai like this.
  7. trudnai

trudnai Miniboss Boxer

Great stuff. Just to clear things up Fusion Drive and SSD are two different storage technologies although related. SSD (Solid State Drive) is basically a non-volatile memory, no mechanical components there. Fusion Drive is a hybrid disk combining a smaller SSD and bigger traditional magnetic storage. With that the macOS organizes your data so the most frequently used data goes onto the SSD part while less frequently ones are stored on the "real hard drive". This is very similar how a cache works, it is just a permanent cache if you can say that. It definitely makes the drive lot faster than without it, but your drive still have that slower mechanical (spinning) storage, so obviously the SSD drive is the fastest option.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fusion_Drive

volcank likes this.
  8. volcank

volcank Serious Boxer

Thank you for clearing out! Today I just purchased one actually LOL 8GB harddisk with 1 TB normal Hard Drive Not Fusion Or SSD. Will see how it goes only it doesn't allow me to use buildbox in this computer since it was my third install. You can only use it in 2 computers I think and my PC my first install is out of order anyways will see what I can do. Up to now Mac Mini is a cool little computer to play around! :)) Thanks a lot for the help!!!

trudnai likes this.
  9. Alienone

Alienone Boxer

Thank You, Thank You, Thank You!!! was planning to get a Mac next year, just for the purpose of compiling the the files and submitting them to Apple! I have a few games in Google Play and have been wanting to get in to Apple, This is Awesome! :):cool::):cool:

10. pochat

pochat Boxer

I run BB in a Macbook air and it's awesome, great performance. So your Mac mini should be more powerful and you won't have any issues.

volcank likes this.
  11. Christoph

Christoph Miniboss Boxer

You can write support and tell them that you won't be using bb anymore on your first machine. They can revoke it so you can use it on your new mac as well. :)

volcank likes this.
  12. volcank

volcank Serious Boxer

Thank you Christoph so much! I actually wrote to Support like you said but also not sure because I might have my Pc fixed so I also said in the email that I might but also asked them what will happen if I want to buy a new machine etc. Anyway you answered it so happy to hear that! :)

13. volcank

volcank Serious Boxer

Thank you! Actually we bought it so my wife and I can work together. She would like to compose music in that machine and seems Logic Pro is working quite good in it. But wouldn't hurt to install Buildbox in that one either :D