Buildbox 3.x - Cutscene Video(es. Mp4) Is Possible?

Discussion in 'Buildbox General Discussion' started by Giannirius, Oct 30, 2020.

1. Giannirius

Giannirius Boxer

Hi all guys,
    I am new to this so I will ask questions often which will also be very basic.

- The most important is: with the latest update 3.3.5 is it possible to insert clips (perhaps in mp4 format or other format) to be played as interlude scenes in a game?

- I am doing some tests, and I have used some provided assets such as "gas station".I tried to apply a collision but the character always goes through it.
    How can I set up the collision correctly?

thanks a lot.

2. Giannirius

Giannirius Boxer

I followed the tutorial and in fact objects like, cubes, cones and so on have a collision and the character does not pass through them.
    While assets such as "bus" or "gas station" even if set, the character continues to pass through them.

3. Josh (Nology Games)

Josh (Nology Games) Avid Boxer

Welcome to the community, ask as many questions as you like but also remember to that many of the questions may have already been answered. Check out YouTube whenever you want to learn how to achieve something. It may already be there.

As far as mp4, it might be best to avoid it. Videos take up a lot of space, so it could destroy the performance of the game. However, this video may help to create cutscenes.

Hopefully this video helps.

4. Josh (Nology Games)

Josh (Nology Games) Avid Boxer

This video may help you as well, because it may be a physics problem

However, you might just have an issue with your collision shape. So make sure it’s set to mesh

5. Giannirius

Giannirius Boxer

6. Giannirius

Giannirius Boxer

@Josh (Nology Games)

I watched the video, this can be for a simple cutscene, but I need to insert 3D animated cutscenes.

Is there any way to do it?
    Maybe through a script made by some user.

Thank you

7. jcalle

jcalle Miniboss Boxer

I think it is not good to add videos in games created with BB.
    Already they take up a lot, many are not optimized and require a lot of memory.
    I imagine you want to add high-quality video, whose total size exceeds 100Mb for example, imagine that size in a basic set for a phone.
    Many games occupy less than 50Mb, the TOP occupy 2Gb but it is not because of the videos but because of the graphics, sounds, code, etc ..., and they are not optimized either.
    It is best to use the movement editor that has BB integrated.

8. HG-2018

HG-2018 Avid Boxer

I always do my cutscense with the engine. Ok I use Buildbox 2 but I am sure you can also do this with Buildbox 3.
    In my new game Tiny Pixel Dungeon i have many cutscenes in the game.

9. waleed

waleed Boxer

In the latest update, you can add mp4 clips into your game. It's pretty handy for story bits or just cool transitions. About the collision issue with the gas station asset, it might be that the collision settings aren't right. Double-check how you've set up the collision properties for that asset.