Buildbox 2 Support And Another Price Model?

Discussion in 'Buildbox General Discussion' started by HG-2018, Feb 2, 2020.

1. HG-2018

HG-2018 Avid Boxer

Isn't there the possibility to develop Buildbox 2 further and offer the version for free or for a small price? I'm still a big fan of version 2 because it's very stable and you can still make very good 2D games. Unfortunately the support is almost non-existent or updates are almost non-existent, which I find a pity. I already know that Buildbox 3 will be better in the future, but version 2 should not be forgotten.

2. Jaro

Jaro Avid Boxer

You're right. It is hard to believe that someone did one of the best programs for 2D production and suddenly almost ceases to be interested in him. I could name ten promises from last year about BB2 but it's a waste of time. I think that it will happen that you will have to evacuate to BB3 because BB3 will become useless. It's a pity.

HG-2018 and 33Shox like this.
  3. 33Shox

33Shox Avid Boxer

I 100% agree with both of you. I can't believe they made such a good software and then abandon it so fast in favor of bb3 . It makes no sense .Like the year is 1999 and everyone should be loosing their minds at 3d games :D. Anyway , at the moment I'm paying for bb3 but i only use bb2. I don't think bb2 should be free tho, I would be happy if it will be available to purchase as a 2d game development software and make small updates to it like twice a year. Thats how i imagined it would be once they released the bb3d

Last edited: Feb 2, 2020
    MAC420, Jaro and HG-2018 like this.
  4. Josh (Nology Games)

Josh (Nology Games) Avid Boxer

The issue with Buildbox 2 was that it was too limited for most uses. The fact that there was no coding at all meant that many users had to use workarounds. Which created bugs. Another issue was that publishers couldn’t release a game made with BB2 because of the Stuff that they couldn’t add.

Buildbox 3 has solved both of these issues and as you can probably guess, it helps the vast majority of our users

5. 33Shox

33Shox Avid Boxer

#nocode :p

Last edited: Feb 2, 2020
    MAC420 and HG-2018 like this.
  6. HG-2018

HG-2018 Avid Boxer

Isn't it always nocode ;)

So buildbox 2 is no longer supported, then make a free version out of it ;)

7. Jaro

Jaro Avid Boxer

Even the free version won't help if it doesn't have support. In a month it may turn out to be useless. Therefore, it seems to me that you need to try to make BB2 support even in the form it is now. This will ensure that games can be published without any problems.

8. Jaro

Jaro Avid Boxer

From your entry, it appears that the main idea and goal, #nocode, has collapsed because there are too many restrictions. Is that what this is about ??

9. Josh (Nology Games)

Josh (Nology Games) Avid Boxer

No, we are still focused on the no code mindset. We have just added the ability to code so you can make changes instead of having a work around

10. MAC420

MAC420 Avid Boxer

Not sure if you can answer this but, would you sell the program to another company to continue it further? I'm just with these guys I love BB2 sure I've had to workaround a bunch of things but it's made me have to think a bit more leading me to things I didn't think was possible. It's just really sad to see a great program die when it's only in it's 2nd stage and with such a large variety of online tutorials it's still has life. It just needs an upgrade which I thought BB3 was going to be but, let's face it, it really isn't. It's a reboot on the idea of BB2. If I could take my projects and drop them right into BB3 and everything worked the same. I'd be fine but, sadly it does not. I mean there is now a whole bunch of new boxers threw the free version and there lookin up to how to do stuff and even if you type in BB3 and not BB2 you still get a long list of BB2 tutorials and I can only imagine how many are disappointed when it doesn't work that way in BB3. I could go on but, I understand you all are ready to move on to BB3 after all it's been built and well you have to move on or it would be a waste. i just think you should do something to keep BB2 alive even if that means handing it over to someone else.

HG-2018, Jaro and 33Shox like this.
  11. 33Shox

33Shox Avid Boxer

well, at least we tried guys :D.
    RIP Buildbox 2 - the greatest no code game engine.
    Long live Buildbox 3 - a game engine

HG-2018, Jaro and MAC420 like this.
  12. Jaro

Jaro Avid Boxer

That's exactly how it is. At this point, it's no longer about expanding the program and adding new functions, but about simply maintaining it as it is. It's also about honesty and loyalty to users. Last year I asked several times how the problem with Heyzap would be solved. Each time the answer was the same: it will be replaced by another network by the end of the year. It will probably be MoPub. When at the end of the year I asked about MoPub, the answer was: you have Custom functions. But because during one of the discussions you promised that BB2 will not be abandoned but kept, I still believe that it will be so. Can you confirm that ??

13. Tars Tarkas

Tars Tarkas Avid Boxer

I love BB2, but I feel that I can do all BB2 was capable and much more in BB3 without knowing how to code at all.
    BB3 is a nocode engine with the ability to code.
    That's just my opinion.

14. ramiucef

ramiucef Avid Boxer

unfortunately, Buildbox 3 is not backward compatible with BB2 project, such a waste...
    i would have loved if they kept and support Buildbox 2

15. 33Shox

33Shox Avid Boxer

can you do particle effects ? :p

16. Tars Tarkas

Tars Tarkas Avid Boxer

Sure you can:)
    Look at the gameplay for Ballz a Poppin, when the cube touches the lightning.

17. 33Shox

33Shox Avid Boxer

nice fake particles :D where is the particles design screen in bb3?

18. Tars Tarkas

Tars Tarkas Avid Boxer

I made that with the spawn node:) Still it works

33Shox likes this.
  19. Jaro

Jaro Avid Boxer

It is true that it is more complex but it does not have the basic functions that are necessary, e.g. character animation. Unless someone is interested in making games consisting of balls, triangles and squares, this problem can of course be overlooked.

Tars Tarkas and 33Shox like this.
  20. Tars Tarkas

Tars Tarkas Avid Boxer

You are right animation is missing and I hope it will be available soon. For 2d games however we can use png animation like in BB2

HG-2018 and Jaro like this.