BTW Ketchapp's #1 game TWIST is a copy of OCTAGON

Discussion in 'Buildbox General Discussion' started by pukaw888, Nov 26, 2015.

1. pukaw888

pukaw888 Boxer

2. pukaw888

pukaw888 Boxer

sorry, Octagon was even released much earlier in 2013

3. darren

darren Avid Boxer

this game was released in 2013 https://www.appannie.com/apps/ios/app/octagon-minimal-arcade-game/

I don't find Twist all that good. Ketchapp did a decent job making it their own...Super Mario Galaxy has similar rotating levels. I wouldn't pay $2 for the Octogon version though it seems to get good reviews.

4. Christoph

Christoph Miniboss Boxer

Ketchapp games are mostly copies of other games. They change some parts (mostly design wise) which makes it not a 100% copy but the mechanic and game idea are the same. Games made with Buildbox are mostly copies too but it's not a bad thing. I think this is how the industry works. You copy and you look how others are doing things and then you implement it in your own game. Make it something special with some new elements and improve some elements. And what Ketchapp for sure does, they improve in the last and probably most important part, the marketing. That's why they have already more than 5 millions downloads for TWIST. Great cross-promotion. And actually, it is not Ketchapp, in this case it is mauigo which is the developer of the game. Ketchapp only distributes. ;)

I know that we have other members that are completely against the copy part and stand for the copyright thing. But my way of thinking is different and my tendency is creative commons and no copyright at all. The world would be a better place. Having said that, I know it sucks and being the developer of OCTACON it for sure hurts. Even though he has a good amount of downloads too. But this is the game industry we are talking about and I'm learning that it's super hard and super cruel. Look at the example of Flappy Bird. It was cloned a thousand times. This is what happens with good games and/or successful games.