Announcing The Buildbox Free Saga: Our Vision

Discussion in 'Official Announcements' started by Sean Buildbox, Dec 4, 2019.

1. Sean Buildbox

Sean Buildbox Serious Boxer

Hey there Boxers!

I know everyone might be getting really tired of the words "very soon" o_O Well the great news is we are progressing finally with the FREE version of Buildbox and its release is imminent. We'll have more announcements and details in the upcoming weeks so stay tuned ;)

For the first video in the series, check out this video where Trey talks all about the vision behind Buildbox Free as well as an exclusive sneak peek of a new #NoCode feature that totally changes the game and makes using Buildbox easier than ever.

Click on the video and watch now!

2. ShinHS

ShinHS Boxer

Wow! I expect a lot of users to join the buildbox.

Hue Buildbox and Sean Buildbox like this.
  3. wayne_martell

wayne_martell Avid Boxer

So how does this help existing users ?

4. Bilz636

Bilz636 Avid Boxer

all we wanted easy ads implementations, and more stability.
    Not really excited because we know thats only over rated marketing like had done many time previously.

Zyl, Member_Game and PunkPuffin like this.
  5. belmir

belmir Avid Boxer

today users must pay a subscription to make a game, so users have to think before making a game, but if buildbox become free it will compete for us users who pay a subscriber per year, we already take a risk to pay the subscription without generating income.
    I do not agree for this news because there will be users using a free version generate more money than us with a subscription without paying any license it is not fair

6. viking

viking Avid Boxer

Its true...we really need more update... always being in beta mode... but with the free version, at least more people will try and use it, some certainly will buy buildbox... and so more investment... more nodes... more tutorials... more buildboxers... (been here since first Bb1.0 the Buggy one but... what an incredible journey)
    Best to u all

Sean Buildbox likes this.
  7. wesam_badr

wesam_badr Miniboss Boxer

This not happy news for subscribers who paid thousand to use buildbox software. we want more fast updates with at least the most requested features to make decent games

8. Jaro

Jaro Avid Boxer

I suppose the free version will not be the full BB version as it often happens with other manufacturers. Free BB certainly should not be able to export the game. Only eg. 30 days trial is acceptable.

9. efadah

efadah Boxer

what would be your business model?, any trade-offs from customers?
    i am assuming you are moving toward building a platform and a marketplace

10. nizarawi

nizarawi Boxer

So how does this help existing users ?
    what is the difference between the different versions?

if it offers the same functions: is it possible to have a refund

Zyl likes this.
  11. Sean Buildbox

Sean Buildbox Serious Boxer

Along with the free version we are also preparing our massive 3.1.X update that will bring about much requested updates, features. and more.

These are planned for 3.1.X and that is coming this year.
    To be clear to everyone there will be limitations on the Free version and we put A LOT of thought into that. More details will be forthcoming on this extremely soon.

The 3.1.X update will help current users a ton and as far as this helps current users there will be a lot of benefits to having a bigger community, such as more nodes, assets, etc

itzonator likes this.
  12. wayne_martell

wayne_martell Avid Boxer

Sean you're putting your neck on the line, you're a brave man !
    I look forward to the updates.
    I think BB2 is very competitive in the 2D games!
    But BB3 with no 3D character animation it a far bit behind the rest of your competitors, so fingers crossed on the update even if you could show us how to use 2D animation in BB3 that would give us a chance !

Sean Buildbox likes this.
  13. itzonator

itzonator Serious Boxer

Another suggestion will be to be able to add rigged 3D animations in Buildbox. Currently only static OBJs work... Will FBX support planned for the first quarter of 2020 will bring this to users or much sooner, maybe with 3.1.X, @Sean Buildbox ?

Being able to add dynamic 3D objects into the software is a step forward for BB :)

PunkPuffin likes this.
  14. tonymartz2

tonymartz2 Avid Boxer

Guys the free version is to bring new customers in the door, I don't think it will allow them to export until they have a paid subscription....
    Think about it, from a business perspective this is brilliant. The more paid subscriptions the better the community.
    btw my subscription expired and i'm not renewing until we have a fully working BB3... (easy ads, game center...)

akshayartpawar likes this.
  15. MAC420

MAC420 Avid Boxer

I think a FREE version is a great idea

Sean Buildbox and Jaro like this.
  16. adrianjgomez

adrianjgomez Boxer

I think the free version is a great idea and I believe it should and probably does export to some platforms.

MAC420 likes this.
  17. Jaro

Jaro Avid Boxer

How do you imagine it? Export is one of the most important functions, so users should abandon subscriptions and start working on the free version? From a business point of view it would be suicide.

18. tonymartz2

tonymartz2 Avid Boxer

I agree 100% with Jaro

19. MAC420

MAC420 Avid Boxer

I'm sure it's going to be limited as in use. I'm think most likely it's going to be the 1 world 15 scenes addition which allows you to make a game but, not nearly enough to make something big. Which in the long end would make the user want to or need to upgrade in order to make what their really looking to make. I for one will not be down grading to the free version as I need those other worlds and scenes to do what I'm doing and I'm pretty sure that would go for most boxers. I really don't get why people are freaking out so bad.

20. Jaro

Jaro Avid Boxer

Of course. make a dream game, you can't publish? Buy the full version! I have been working with such projects for several years. I see panic among several users but I think the free version will not do anything wrong for current users.