Official Comments Thread For The Official 3.1.4 Update

Discussion in 'Buildbox General Discussion' started by Sean Buildbox, Feb 19, 2020.

1. Sean Buildbox

Sean Buildbox Serious Boxer

viking likes this.
  2. rizwanashraf

rizwanashraf Avid Boxer

I need download link for this version for mac please. I want to keep both previous version and new version.

3. andsy

andsy Boxer

nice, still waiting for 3D animations and .fbx import..

4. sy27

sy27 Boxer

Hello guys, I cant download or install the update, because it loads to the end and it gets stuck there at the end. There is an endless loop. Nothing happens at all.
    I have already uninstalled Buildbox and reinstalled from .exe file of my account area. There I could only download 3.1.3.xxxxx.
    Is there any other solution where I can download 3.1.4?

5. cedrickp32

cedrickp32 Boxer

Hi,

I just downloaded the 3.1.4 update and when i open my project, none of my labels are showing. The ones that are directly on the UI works, but every label created using API or the label node are not showing. I tried deleting the node and recreating it, but it doesn't work. Deleting and recreating the font doesn't work either. I rolled back to 3.1.3 because of this.

Ivan Perfetti likes this.
  6. Sean Buildbox

MAC: http://downloads.buildbox.com/buildbox/3.1/mac/Buildbox_3.1.4-3502.zip
    WIN: http://downloads.buildbox.com/buildbox/3.1/win/Buildbox_3.1.4-3502.exe

At what stage of the update/install does this occur? Have you tried temporarily disabling any anti-virus programs potentially causing this?
    Will DM you for more details

7. rizwanashraf

rizwanashraf Avid Boxer

Thank you :)

Sean Buildbox likes this.
  8. Ivan Perfetti

Ivan Perfetti Avid Boxer

@Sean Buildbox @cedrickp32
    I can confirm that with 3.1.4 there is quite a problem in UIs when using objects which includes labels.
    The problem is that such labels will always stay behind other elements, like models or animation.
    Changing the z position for labels does nothing, labels will always stay behind.
    This problem doesn't happen if you add Labels directly to the UI.

Hoping a fix will come soon, as of now I've found two workarounds, hope these will help you in the meanwhile.

Workaround 1 - Easy but far from ideal

Not a good option to me but is quick and might help someone: you may set Blending to Additive for elements in front of labels, this way labels will show up behind transparent elements.

Workaround 2 - Requires some code and is not ideal but fixes the problem

Since this problem doesn't happen if you add Labels directly to the UI a workaround is to do so and then obtain global references to such Labels from your code by creating global settings so that you can access UI labels from every script you wish, something like this:

Settings.uiLabel1 = this.ui().find('Label1');

This line will create a setting which is a reference to the Label named Label1 in the current UI
    In my experience this is best done by adding a very simple object inside the UI with a script with that line in it so that the reference gets created each time the UI gets created.
    Once you have the reference you can access all the (few) methods offered by Label objects: setText, setOpacity, setPosition.

Example: Settings.uiRankLabel[0].setText('Whatever'); //Changes the text of the label to 'Whatever'

This is not always a solution by the way, it depends on your requirements, and requires a little code.
    It would be nice to have more methods for label objects, like one to change color for example.

Hue Buildbox and Sean Buildbox like this.
  9. Sean Buildbox

Thank you for the detail. I think there was some change to labels that might've caused this. The team is investigating currently.

Hue Buildbox and Ivan Perfetti like this.
  10. cedrickp32

cedrickp32 Boxer

@Ivan Perfetti

Thanks for the detailed explanation ! I'm pretty sure that using blend mode on all the label might result in slow down on the device. I've tried to delete the animation or model that i had with the label, and it's still not showing up, which means the problem is deeper than being behind elements.

@Sean Buildbox

Thanks Sean, hope they find soon. The update was quite nice for fixing all the crashes of buildbox.

11. sy27

sy27 Boxer

Sean Buildbox likes this.