Unity3d to Buildbox! Mr Jumper.

Discussion in 'Game Showcase' started by ozergul, Jan 2, 2016.

1. ozergul

ozergul Boxer

Hello,
    I have made a game about 7-8 months ago. And it has 165k downloads. I made it with Unity3d.

Today, I coded it from zero with Buildbox. It looks perfect in my opinion :)

You can test Mr Jumper. There is 9 levels. The game is a bit hard.

Anyway, this is from new version:
    [​IMG]

This is old version:
    [​IMG]

Game will be updated...

2. Christoph

Christoph Miniboss Boxer

Nice copy of Mr Jump: https://itunes.apple.com/mx/app/mr-jump/id955157084

[​IMG]

I wonder how you can do this without giving credits. I mean, I'm absolutely not against copying and re-using of ideas, elements, etc. but to make a almost 100% copy of another successful game is just lame. You could have done so much different, but you went the easy way by earning downloads because people thought it is the original. You sure could do better than that with your talents. Just saying.

3. sysads

sysads Serious Boxer

@Christoph there is still an element of talent there. Mr Jumper's character does not have arms :D , so possibly all those that downloaded the game loved his version of the character

playsgames6666 and ozergul like this.
  4. colette_levesque

colette_levesque Boxer

I think it's a great exercise to redo your game in Buildbox. I bet it was quicker to recreate than making it in Unity. It probably took you just as much time to make the 1 game in unity as it would to redo the game in Buildbox and make another game. Nice work. I hope that amount of downloads brought you a decent profit too :)

ozergul likes this.
  5. todro

todro Avid Boxer

It's not the only game he cloned. I'm pretty sure absolute games likes the pxl clone too :rolleyes:

If one is not willing or even able to understand Trey's philosophy "model and improve", or simply doesn't care, then you get this as a result: a bad clone

playsgames6666 and ozergul like this.
  6. ozergul

ozergul Boxer

Thanks for the replies and criticisms. I know it is clone and logo or materials are similar. But I think there is no ethic problem. It is necessary to start from anywhere.

It is not clone. It is only similar. But it is clone.

7. sysads

sysads Serious Boxer

Hahahaha this is now the battle between

SIMILAR

vs

CLONE

I just love these 2 words - :D

playsgames6666 likes this.
  8. pukaw888

pukaw888 Boxer

Game TWIST published by Ketchapp from a game developer has now an estimated revenue of $1.5M which is a clone/similar from the game Octagon released 10/30/2013 last updated 11/03/2015 with current estimated revenue of only $326K

ozergul likes this.
  9. ozergul

ozergul Boxer

Interesting.

10. pukaw888

pukaw888 Boxer

TWIST
    OCTAGON

ozergul likes this.
  11. trygii

trygii Avid Boxer

Could you give a link to the revenue estimate?

12. Christoph

Christoph Miniboss Boxer

There are three main differences between Twist and Octagon:
    1. Jump vs Slide
    2. Portrait vs Landscape
    3. Different graphic design

This doesn't mean they are not very similar. Of course, Twist looks similar to Octagon. But it's not a clone, it only was inspired by Octagon.

You can't invent the wheel anymore. Get inspired, copy, take and then add, change, innovate and create new things. There are tons of examples. Take Crossy Roads. It's almost an identical copy of Frogger:

[​IMG] vs [​IMG]

They just changed it to isometric. The cars are there, the trucks, the roads, the rivers with the trees, the grass, etc. But then they also changed the frog to a chicken, added a very good bonus system, tons of characters and several innovative graphic options. They copied, yes! But they did more than that.

Use your talent and create something new. Honestly, your clone should be reported.

13. todro

todro Avid Boxer

All I see is the main game idea which is realized totally different.

Running those 2 videos at the same time and comparing them, all I can see is the general game idea which is the same. If you feel that twist is a copy of octagon, then there shouldn't exist any 2+ runner, avoidance, flappy bird games etc. because of this

For me this is a totally different approach although the game idea is similiar.

Talking about Mr. Jumper and Mr. Jump, I see actually that someone is behaving like a copycat:

a.) Using a simple name extension to benefit from it during search in the app store
    b.) a slightly modified character
    c.) The same type of scenes with less attractive (crippeled) graphics and still containing several details/key elements of the original game

Original
    [​IMG]

Fake:
    [​IMG]

What I'm going to say:

- taking a game idea and transforming it into a different game than the original one is what you can find nowadays as a regular procedure.
    - grabbing an existing game and trying to free ride based on the work of others and simply doing some "McDonalds calls it BigMac, we call ours BigMic" type changes is not OK

At the end of the day everything comes down to: respect the work of others

14. pukaw888

pukaw888 Boxer

kindly check it from www.sensortower.com just type in the name of the game..under Products/Top Charts

15. todro

todro Avid Boxer

a.) I think it's important to note that it's not the real revenue but the worth which is calculated using "Sensor Tower Secret Sauce" whatever that means and which leaves room for speculations

b.) Although Twist is rated around 5x the value of Octagon, Twist is rated with a visibilty score slightly above Octagon, so visibility score and worth of both apps are not really matching or using totally different parameters (or Twist wasn't optimized for the search).

c.) Remarkable is also the fact that a freemium and a paid app are compared and the higher Twist download rate (and therefore the possible higher chance of in-app purchase return) might be considered to estimate a higher return.

Regarding all those values, I'm wondering how those can be trusted as one might have used too much Secret Sauce for the calculation :D

16. Christoph

Christoph Miniboss Boxer

I stopped trusting in sensortower when I saw the Crossy Roads stats:

1.png

1.5 million downloads when they have over 140 million and $170k revenue when they made 10 millions in the first 3 month. That says everything about their secret sauce. :D

17. sysads

sysads Serious Boxer

Hmm that looks like stats for just December 2015 I presume :confused:

harislatif and Christoph like this.
  18. Christoph

Christoph Miniboss Boxer

lol. Good point sysads. Must be true. :D

19. AppNasty

AppNasty Miniboss Boxer

Just read all of that. Only thing I will say is "you can only make x type of games with buildbox". So most of all the games will be clones of each other. Lol.

bmsingha likes this.
  20. harislatif

harislatif Avid Boxer

Yeah man that's the stats for December only cause it says December 2015 world wide!