test game on iphone?

Discussion in 'How Can I...?' started by simonsaunders, May 1, 2016.

1. simonsaunders

simonsaunders Boxer

after i have exported as ios, is there a simple way to test the game locally on an iphone to test it out? please say yes!!

2. eyal

eyal Serious Boxer

well once you get it then it's easy :) u need to export it to ios and then open it in xcode and export it to adhok and then you can use diawi.com

3. trudnai

trudnai Miniboss Boxer

When you test it locally then you do not need to export an all the trouble with 3rd party app distribution. Just connect your iPhone to your Mac and hit the play button. That installs the app on your iPhone and you can debug and monitor memory and other activities, see if CPU utilization too high etc. After that you can launch it from the phone as you pleased as the app is installed.

4. eyal

eyal Serious Boxer

What ? are you talking about using it within Xcode ? because otherwise it's not going to work

5. trudnai

trudnai Miniboss Boxer

When you tap on the Play button within Xcode it installs the IPA on your iPhone. After that it stays on your device and you can tap on its icon any time, even if your iPhone no longer connected to the Mac. I am doing this for years, works like charm.

Ronak likes this.
  6. simonsaunders

simonsaunders Boxer

just to clarify. if ive never used or installed xcode, do i need to do that b4 connecting my iphone?

7. JustWatchApps

JustWatchApps Avid Boxer

@trudnai A side question...In your experience, what CPU utilization range you think an app should operate in?

8. Christoph

Christoph Miniboss Boxer

Yes, install xcode and us it to install your app on your idevice. You don't need anything else. But remember, first you need to register your device on https://idmsa.apple.com/IDMSWebAuth...2d2197f89480a8547b108fd934911bcbea0110d07f757
    Once your device ID is connected to your Apple ID you can compile and install your app with Xcode.
    Note: for Buildbox builds from 1.3.5 use Xcode 6.4. For 1.3.6 and 2 use the latest Xcode.

JustWatchApps likes this.
  9. trudnai

trudnai Miniboss Boxer

Lower is the better of course :) But I aim to lower than 50% average. For performance usually I do not use the latest and greatest, initially I test it on iPhone 6 Plus and when happy cross check it with iPad 2 (Not iPad Air 2!) and sometimes even iPhone 4. On these latter one I accept a bit higher utilization due to the slower hardware, but always make sure the game is playable.

EDIT: Btw there is a concept where it is said people with old devices tend to not to purchase anyways, so why would you bother to get compatible, right? While it may or may not be true, these people are part of the freemium concept where they might introduce your game to paying customers. Not to mention that if your game is lean it does not melt up the CPU, battery lasts longer and players are generally happier.

Last edited: May 2, 2016
  10. Andy

Andy Miniboss Boxer

iPhone 5 (not 5s) and iPad 3 also make good low performance test devices. Slightly better performance than previously mentioned but still a decent indicator.

11. JustWatchApps

JustWatchApps Avid Boxer

@trudnai Thanks!
    @Andy Thanks!

These tricks of the trade are great!

12. trudnai

trudnai Miniboss Boxer

@JustWatchApps: Just tested my upcoming game on iPad 2. One scene is totally messed up but that I wanted to remove anyways. Other than that I have CPU utilization in between 45-55% most of the times, occasionally it goes up to 70% for example when game over and load of things are happening at the same time (Die Animation, Screen Shaking, loading the Game Over Menu etc). I have moderately use Light with Shadow and already optimized most of the objects by merging them etc. I think this is acceptable and will have not much of an issue once it goes to AppStore. Oh and I am using BB 1.3.6 with latest Xcode if you are wondering...

13. pablofaivre

pablofaivre Boxer

Hi! It allows me to upload only 2 games, if I put onother one it replaces the last one, is there a way to test more games? Thanks!

14. tokyo007

tokyo007 Boxer

When testing a game on IPhone 6 for example and work well, toes that mean the game will work well also on all IPhone types (5,7,8,X...) ? and what is the best IPhone to have for testing now?

Thank you