Why Is The Program So Expensive?

Discussion in 'Buildbox General Discussion' started by ilinovik, Jun 24, 2018.

Tags:
  1. ilinovik

ilinovik Boxer

For Russia-it is very significant money. Not know as in the US and Europe. But if to transfer on how many it is possible to buy Coca Cola 0.5 - 65 rubles. The price for the full version of the program 6500 rubles (100 cans of Coca Cola) - for a cut 2213.39 rubles
    I can't understand why it's so expensive? While other products are more affordable.Well, except Game Maker.

2. spicedbeangames

spicedbeangames Miniboss Boxer

It works out about the same as I pay in the UK. £74-£77 a month for the full version of Buildbox. They have introduced a new pricing system, so if you were going to have a period where you either weren't making games, or just using BB just a couple of times a month, you can either cancel or downgrade.

It's much more flexible than it used to be.

3. ilinovik

ilinovik Boxer

I've been doing one game for almost a month. And there's more marketing like in the case of Apple. It is clear that I can quickly make casual games and fill them all ,Google market. But not the fact that without investments and advertising - someone will find my application. I made two games in a month. In principle, Yes it is fast. But I will not earn on the next subscription. This job is at a loss.

4. spicedbeangames

spicedbeangames Miniboss Boxer

Roman wasn't built in a day. If you expect to make one or two games and return a profit, you are doing the wrong job. I suggest you do more research prior to releasing a game.

If you are here to make a quick buck, I would look at some of the hyper casual games and perhaps chase a publisher. It has taken me 4 years to be in a position of actually making money from my games and the market has changed so much during that time and its key that you stay on top of the trends if you want to have enough money to pay the bills(including BB) and have flash money!

adrogdesigns and Xpoint games like this.
  5. ilinovik

ilinovik Boxer

If only it were so rosy. But half a month showdown how to export. Studied an Android Studio. Faced with mistakes and questions - but they at least were resolved. I felt like a beta test. Then he figured out how to install advertising. And here you need to program. One application stopped working for an unknown reason. And no one can help. Understand. I spent more nerves.

6. TreySmith

TreySmith Moderator

In short, because we are a real company with employees, payroll, contractors, offices, services, CRM, email systems, advertising, servers, etc. Sure, some of the other guys are cheaper. But how much traction do they have? How many updates? They moving into 3D? All of that is expensive ;)

Bilz636, Hue Buildbox, and249 and 2 others like this.
  7. DariusGuerrero

DariusGuerrero Avid Boxer

You don't need to manually input the SDKs for advertising? You may have followed the tutorials on Chartboost or Admob or whatever to put in the ads in your game, when you didn't need to do that. You only have to put in the AD Ids in Buildbox itself. THis is just one of the things that makes Buildbox great.

In one month you were able to make 2 games too. That wouldn't be the case in other engines, and trust me I have tried them all except Unreal Engine. Imagine how long it would take to make the same 2 games in other engines, and the results would've been the same.

Aside from that, it's only been a month. No great business hasn't went through hardship. Successful businesses operate at a loss at the first couple of years. So, you lost some time studying how to export on Android Studio, maybe there was some wrong stuff you installed the first time or something. I had some trouble moving from eclipse and exporting with Android Studio too, thankfully, the forum is here to help. But next time at least in your case, you now know how to export fast.

Yes. There is a misperception (oh that's not a word), okay wrong connotation that game developers only have to put in games on the stores and "people will find your game and people will download it. That's not how it works. A game developer's life is not so rosy after all. It's risky, but it can pay off eventually.

But at least with BB I can spend more time marketing the game than making it. Do you know how long I finished DERE EXE? 4 days. and the next weeks I spent all day marketing like a madman. That is what Buildbox gives you. The most valuable gift: TIME.

The first months maybe you mastering game development and marketing. When you get the hang of it, the return of investment is worth it.

Miko Buildbox likes this.
  8. ilinovik

ilinovik Boxer

I agree, progress is amazing. 2 games. I used to do one a lot longer. Although there was a direct compiler in the apk. There is a huge plus that the menu is very well thought out. And how to make the transition from level to level. And about the staff is also correct. A good team is able to do more and of course everyone wants to eat=) but I then have a question, why not expand not to 3D, and for example to use variables. Conditions for variables, timer and other things. That it was possible to create not only casual games. You have someone in the team to think brilliantly logically, once able to do complex things easier. I think he could do that with variables and their conditions.

9. DariusGuerrero

DariusGuerrero Avid Boxer

In the next few months, this will be possible with BB3, don't worry. And the exponential growth in software features is a result in the well thought out pricing of course. But I tell ya, even today there's lots of things you can do in BB2, not just casual games. Good luck in your endeavors!

10. and249

and249 Avid Boxer

I don't want to be harsh with you, @TreySmith, but engines like Unity and UE4 are free. Unity has a free version with all of the core engine features. UE4 is also fully free.
    Please don't ban me for this comment. :confused:

Regards,
    Neel

11. jmiller8031

jmiller8031 Avid Boxer

Unity and Unreal are free until you make money from your game. Then they’re potentially more expensive than Buildbox.

I do think Buildbox is expensive for what it can do right now. I don’t even use it because it’s so limited. But, I pay for a pro license every month anyway. I view it as an investment because I like the direction Buildbox is going and that investment should pay off soon with Buildbox 3.

12. Miroslav

Miroslav Boxer

I agree with you jimiller8031.

I don't pay licence, I just use demo version for learning and testing things, but I definately expect a lot from BB 3.

I have a lot of ideas, but when I start creating games from those ideas, I realise very soon that it is not possible because it is so limited. So it will be better for me to wait BB3.

13. jerry

jerry Avid Boxer

@jmiller8031 and @Miroslav as a designer, to have a tool you don't have to "program" is awesome! BB can do a TON. You just have to figure out some of the little "tricks" to make your game cool/fun. The extension of being able to script and use nodes in BB3 is going to be HUGE though and will make a massive difference in capabilities for sure!!

14. ilinovik

ilinovik Boxer

If we return to the essence of the issue. I mean that not all countries can afford (it can also limit the spread and development). For example, Steam has made the possibility of different pricing policies by country.

15. MattWills

MattWills Avid Boxer

At the end of the day Buildbox is a business they need to generate revenue in order to invest in the future of the company.
    Nothing is truly free including Unity and UE4.
    They have pricing tiers now making the product cheaper in return for less worlds etc so beginning at $15 a month.

16. Miroslav

Miroslav Boxer

I am ok with pricing, but I am not able, and I don't want to pay for something in which I actualy can't make games that I want to make. But as I said, I expect that I will be able to do everything I want in BB3.

17. ilinovik

ilinovik Boxer

Yes, everyone wants BB3=) I just watched a good start of a powerful engine - it was called Quest3d, the price was space(unattainable). A pirated version was out of date. So Unreal engine in its beginning also had a price. But then realized that the narrow access to their product of certain persons-more professionals, reduces the scope of testing, openness to ideas and popularity. Quest3d died-although there were prospects. And Unreal took off and continues the flight. With unity, it's about the same story. Only is their support for indie game development in the most.
    If there is a game on a particular engine that will surpass the price of a certain percentage, the company will recover their money. And Yes, it's probably fair to take from the rich and successful, than to Rob a beginner with no money. It is understood by all. It's all about the pros. Yes, there are really a lot of them, but I still see that casual games. And there are millions of them. And 3D too. probably tens of millions already.

18. Miroslav

Miroslav Boxer

That is definately an option - make BB to be free and then take part of money when a game makes money, like Unity do it. And for me persoly, it would be so much better.

But BB team - they know what is good for them, so we have to accept it.

and249 likes this.
  19. Miroslav

Miroslav Boxer

P.S. It looks like it is not possible to edit post, at least I don't see how to do it. Please make it possible. My english is bad, but not so bad as it appears to be in some of my posts :D

20. and249

and249 Avid Boxer

That's a good idea.