Pre-Sales V2 Questions people should be asking

Discussion in 'Buildbox General Discussion' started by mojpoj, Dec 15, 2015.

1. AndyG

AndyG Miniboss Boxer

thats pretty much a FAIL on a MONUMENTAL SCALE! VERY Disappointing. :mad:
    I have no idea of the technological challenges required but this HAS to be a PRIORITY for the next update. Not being able to multi-select to copy/paste seriously impacts the workflow. Unable to group objects to move around (and no I do not consider 'connection' to be a workaround) or paste to another scene is one big pain in the a**!

2. darren

darren Avid Boxer

that might be a little harsh...the BB team has limited human resources. To take the time to develop 'multiple select' would have meant they couldn't have added a previous feature or made a feature as robust. They chose particles, worlds, components, tvOS, menu jump, and other features which makes better game play vs. faster object selection/moving. I think better game play would make a better game vs. less features
    i haven't committed to BB2.0 yet :/ as I have a feeling all the atlas graphics will load at launch so having 30 worlds will still be limited to 2 atlases for the entire game for best memory management.

3. Christoph

Christoph Miniboss Boxer

I have only 2 atlases. No problem there. :D But my question for @Andy was about the score system. I really am curious how the distance score works with BB2. Knowing this I can make plans on what to implement or not and if I should wait for BB2 or not with my game.

4. Jamie

Jamie Avid Boxer

If there is anything involving atlas limits with BB2 that will impact how large a game one can make (including future updates of levels, actions, and character options) before the game has problems loading, as other suggest here in the thread, then I would like to know. One of my interests is in being able to update elements of games on a rolling basis without suffering performance issues on load or in gameplay itself. If it is just a matter of increasing file size of the app as it is downloaded on a platform, then ok, but if there is more to it, I would lolve clarification about that

5. todro

todro Avid Boxer

Hopefully we will experience some day in the future that BB is supporting IOS9 app thinning which resolves this problem efficiently, at least for IOS...

6. seanjcon

seanjcon Guest

Regarding atlases: In the final January release we will have different atlases for each world. We might have it in the early access version, but not 100% at this moment in time

darren and Jamie like this.
  7. Andy

Andy Miniboss Boxer

@Christoph
    I don't have answers on the scoring system right now.

Actually app thinning does not really help this at all, plus it's only supported in iOS 9+ so your not supporting any older iOS. Basically it only helps with physical size.

Christoph likes this.
  8. Christoph

Christoph Miniboss Boxer

Interesting. Different atlases for each world. Does that mean they load at the start of the level (when the user starts to play)? That would help the app loading time for sure.

Jamie likes this.
  9. todro

todro Avid Boxer

I am talking about On-Demand Resources which is part of app thinning and as already >70% of the IOS devices are using IOS9 I think it makes sense to consider this approach for Future releases. The question would be wether a IOS based recource handling would be possible.

10. Andy

Andy Miniboss Boxer

It has almost nothing to do with app performance or loading time, etc... that is the context that it was framed. Currently we use 1 set of assets for everything. So it does not make sense for BB at this time.

11. wayne_martell

wayne_martell Avid Boxer

I typed in "backwards movement" in the search and there was no mention of it. So I had my doubt. I had to look through the manual to find something "Back Del Threshold " was it. Wow you don't make it easy. I got it working in the end. Maybe you guys need to show how to make this works as it's a big plus for platformer games and you can make more traditional platformer adventure games. Just suggestion !

12. darren

darren Avid Boxer

I don't think you could make a traditional platform game. The back del threshold is only for keeping a scene in memory when your game moves forward, eventually if you move back far enough you will reach deleted scenes. perhaps in the future, build box will load scenes depending on what direction your are traveling, but currently that's not the case.

netkomm likes this.
  13. Andy

Andy Miniboss Boxer

Yeah, as long as you live within reasonable limitations it works great. Not something that would work well for an endless game.

14. VectologyGames

VectologyGames Serious Boxer

Could you define reasonable (just a ballpark range).

15. Andy

Andy Miniboss Boxer

depends on many things, mostly the hardware you are running on, but also the amount of objects total you need to keep alive.... but I wouldn't want to create a level that is 100,000 x 100,000 pixels worth of objects.

16. VectologyGames

VectologyGames Serious Boxer

Is there a method of measuring your level size?

17. wayne_martell

wayne_martell Avid Boxer

You can override the back del threshold by typing it in but you do have to set up the boundaries so the character stays in the middle of the screen. But it works fine otherwise !